PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli Soule Sight? How to adjust ?, Just got my first one, no instructions.

Muddy Creek Sam
09-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Howdy all,

So, I am getting deeper into long range single shot. Got the new Browning 1885, with the top of the line Pedersoli Soule Sight with micrometer windage adjustment, but no instructions on the sight or the Pedersoli website. Dont want to breack anything, so are there any adjstment locks I need to know about?

Thanks,

Sam :D

RMulhern
09-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Hmmmm.....if you had a big sack full of those sights....you'd have a good boat anchor!!:bigsmyl2::shock:

Muddy Creek Sam
09-08-2009, 02:12 PM
FPMIII,

I sure know a lot more than I did. Extremely helpful!

Thanks,

Circuit Rider
09-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Sam, check your email Circuit Rider

runnin lead
09-08-2009, 03:07 PM
I have to agree with FPMIII
the knob on the right numbered 1-5 turned clockwise will move you to the right , each # represents 1/2 minuite ( a minuite of angle at 100 yds is .99 something almost exactly 1 inch
2''@ 200yds 3'' @ 300..........)
For elevation loosen the eyecup ,turn the little knob at the top of the staff clock wise to go up
counter clockwise to go down(when finished setting sight tighten eyecup, gently ,don't over tighten
Every line on the staff represents 5 min , every long line 25min
On the part that moves up & down the staff there are more lines each time one of those lines up with a line on the staff ( only one at a time will )you have moved 1 min, after each has lined up you are back with your bottom ZERO line aligning with your next line on the staff & have moved 5 min
the 25, 50 ,75 or 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 equals 25, 50 ,75 min tht 1, 2 ,3 is hundreds of minuites

Muddy Creek Sam
09-08-2009, 03:16 PM
runnin lead,

Thank you. I will be using it for Cowboy Long Range. But, I figured that the BPCR crowd could inform me of how to use the sight. I understand that repeatability may be an issue. So I have been told.

runnin lead
09-08-2009, 04:00 PM
The problem I had was more stay ability , it would reset the windage under recoil !
Might work on my 1885 if it can withstand the recoil of .22RF

montana_charlie
09-08-2009, 07:30 PM
I was dinking around with MS Paint one evening, looking for some project that needed some precision, and also required text labels. I came up with this.

See if it is clear enough to teach you how to use the vernier scales on a tang sight...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=88&pictureid=1268

CM

runnin lead
09-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Just like the real thing , had to put the glasses on.

RMulhern
09-08-2009, 09:23 PM
FPMIII,

I sure know a lot more than I did. Extremely helpful!

Thanks,

Sam

Pardon my humor and somewhat sarcastic reply but it was GOOD ADVICE! Years ago....well....just let me say that I've got a plastic baggie with about 5 to 7 sets of those sights aka JUNK that I got TIRED OF REWORKING!! There's nothing wrong with a Pedersoli rifle..the barrels are good and will shoot but the Pedersoli sights...if you want to call them that....are JUNKERS!!

I don't know what you're shooting at target-wise in so-called Cowboy Long Range but when I'm shooting at a 20" ten ring from 1000 yards....I desire a sight that I can depend upon and a Pedersoli sight is about as useful for that as tits on a boar hog!!:holysheep:-(

longhorn
09-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Well done, MC!

Mike0904
09-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Yes, Kudo's Charlie very nice and prints out well.

Muddy Creek Sam
09-08-2009, 11:29 PM
FPMIII,

Cowboy Long Range is usually 5 shots at a set target 200 to 600 yds against the clock. This will be my first year shooting it, Coming in Nov, With Single Shot, Lever Rifle Caliber and Lever Pistol Caliber. May have a 75 yd Pistol shot also. So I am not changing ranges at a single shoot or shooting 1000 yds. Would love to be able to.

Just tring to find out how to work with what I have.

Thanks,

Muddy Creek Sam
09-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Charlie,

That was great!

Thanks,

cajun shooter
09-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Sent you a pm on the Pedersoli sight

BPCR Bill
09-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Very good learning tool Charlie. It's amazing how many folks do not understand the Vernier scale. I still have a Vernier caliper in my tool box, and I learned how to use one in High School machine shop in Billings years ago. The eyes are getting older so it's easier to use my Starrett dial caliper now. Still have to squint at the scale on my tang sights, though.

Regards,
Bill

montana_charlie
09-09-2009, 02:51 PM
A word about Pedersoli tang sights...

Pedersoli produces two grades of tang sights...the 'good ones' and the 'give away sights'.
When you buy a 'rifle package' that includes a tang sight, it will (usually) be one of the 'give away' variety.

This grade of tang sight (not to be confused with a "Soule" sight) is about as good as the rear sight found on most modern off-the-shelf rifles. Those will hold a sight setting, and will provide accuracy suitable for hunting...but the manufacturers know that almost everybody will put a scope on the rifle, so they don't spend large amounts of money on precision rear sights.
Pedersoli is no exception. Their 'give away' sight can be adjusted to put you on target at a given range. If you have the various screws snugged up enough to prevent movement, it will allow accurate shooting.
But, they are not very useful if you need to change sight adjustments frequently.

The 'good grade' of Pedersoli sight is much more 'adjustable'.
In the words of Lee Shaver (in a conversation with me) they are very 'serviceable'. While the best Pedersoli Soule may not match the fine fit of an MVA, it will still be more precise than many shooters are.

Pedersoli tang sights have a poor reputation, but it stems mainly from experience with the 'give away sights'...not the better grade sights Pedersoli makes.

I had a Pedersoli Soule on my rifle. Now I have a Lee Shaver Soule. But the groups I get now are no better than I had with the Pedersoli. The ONLY difference is...the Shaver sight is a bit less bulky, and I can lay it flat to the butt without removing the eyecup.
It's a 'convenience' thing, not an 'accuracy' thing...

CM

hydraulic
09-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Did the Browning BPCR made in the late 90's come with Pedersoli sights?

Don McDowell
09-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Did the Browning BPCR made in the late 90's come with Pedersoli sights?

NOpe, their own brand

cajun shooter
09-09-2009, 10:13 PM
You are quite correct on the Pedersoli tang sights MC. The later model soule sights that they sell by them selves the USA 406 I think is the LR one and the boxed sets can shoot well. I have one of the boxed set models on my 1874 Sharps. It's far better than my 62 year old eyes. The one thing that I don't like is having to loosen the spring screw to allow the sight to lay to the rear for running patches. It works great under recoil by allowing the sight to go forward but not rearward into the head or eyes. The scale is clear and deep and easy to read with cheaters on. Later David

montana_charlie
09-10-2009, 05:45 PM
The one thing that I don't like is having to loosen the spring screw to allow the sight to lay to the rear for running patches.
You shouldn't need to do that, David.
My USA 406 went both ways, as did the USA 431 which came with the (used) rifle.
I helped a neighbor buy a Pedersoli Sharps this past spring, and it came with the USA 465. That sight would not lay down to the rear.

I had it all disassembled, and I could not discover why. And, it's not like it's a complicated mechanism, or anything. It looked like it should lay down...there was no 'ledge' or 'stop' to prevent it, but it resisted my attempts.
The bottom of the staff looked exactly like my 406...which laid down quite easily.

Since it wasn't 'my' sight, I didn't try to modify anything...but I was pretty certain it could be done without damaging anything.
It may be that the spring is stronger (or harder) than necessary. That 465 would lay down if I loosened the spring anchor screw to lessen the pressure against the staff notch...but I didn't leave it that way for my friend.

Some judicious 'thinning', or partially annealing the metal may get you what you like.
CM

hydraulic
09-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Thanks Don. I thought I remembered Kurt saying that the sights were made by USA. Good luck at Lakawake---Lackawann---Ikalcksa, uhhhh, MONTANA this weekend. CM.

Don McDowell
09-10-2009, 10:42 PM
Charlie you can get a "hadley" eyecup for that sight from Lee Shaver.

Thanks for the well wishes, sure would be better if you and the Mrs. were going to be there.[smilie=s: