PDA

View Full Version : Depriming a 357 case?

Archer
09-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Has anyone found a good way to deprime
a 357 Mag case?
A guy gave me nearly a 100 357 Mag cases,
Which is great, but there all primed. The problem is,
My revovler is chambered for 38 special + P.
I've got a Lee case trimmer and length gage, and have used it
many times to cut down 357 cases, but the primer has to be out.
Just wondering if anyone has found a safe way to get them out,
since I can't chamber them in my 38 and shoot them first.

Muddy Creek Sam
09-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Archer,

I will swap you 100 38spl cases for them.

Sam :D

Hardcast416taylor
09-08-2009, 10:46 AM
If you are using a single station reloading press here is an easy way. Using a depriming die from a rifle caliber die set run the depriming rod down a bit farther than is normaly used for that caliber. Put the .357 in the correct shellholder and gently run the ram up until the live primer pops out.Robert

Archer
09-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Sam,
Sounds like the prefect solution.
The ony problem is, I haven't got them in my hand yet.
The guy called and said he will bring them up to me the
next time he comes up to his place,( he lives about a 100
miles south of me), and it may be a week or so before he brings them
up. Also, he said there must be about a 100, so I don't know exactly
how many is there for sure. But I'll let you know when they get here.
Thanks,
John

Muddy Creek Sam
09-08-2009, 11:05 AM
John,

Just let me know when you know how many. I have plenty of 38spl, and could really use more 357mag. Will ship them right out to you. Just send me a PM.

Sam :D

RayinNH
09-08-2009, 11:17 AM
The swap certainly sounds like the best solution. That way you have properly head stamped casings. Check the shipping regs. before going through the P.O. though with the primed cases...Ray

lathesmith
09-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Primed cases shouldn't be a problem to ship. The only really safe way to get some de-primed 38 spec cases out of primed 357 mag cases is...to trade with Sam. A lot simpler too!
lathesmith

beagle
09-08-2009, 01:52 PM
FL resize them and save the primers. Been doing it for years and never set one off yet. Just take it easy and place something like a small block of wood in front of the primer chute just in case.

I just deprimed a bunch 1,000 or more 9mms that were messed up during sizing but were recoverable./beagle

canebreaker
09-08-2009, 05:51 PM
I just finished decapping 1,000 9mm cases for the primers. Got them through a friend, factory messed up cases. Great price, 12.00. I took it slow and easy on my Lee press. Brass cases, PPU head stamp. I borrowed a 9mm die set from another friend. Didn't fire the first primer.
I got another good deal from him too. 1,000 .38 spl. cowboy action rounds. 140 gr. rn boolits for 12.00. They somehow missed the primer line. The bag was sealed, with rounds and powder. No clue of what the charge was or what powder was used. It looks a bit like Bullseye. I cleaned my tumbler and added the rounds. Sat it out behind the garage on an extension cord. Tumbled 330 or so at a time. But still taped the pocket hole while pulling bullets. Cases are nichel with A-MERC head stamp.