PDA

View Full Version : 43 Spanish Remy #1 rolling block HELP

yotatrd4x4
09-08-2009, 02:49 AM
OK I made a trade with Wonderwolf or we are making a trade I am getting a Remington rolling block from him chambered in 43 spanish. He put a newer or should I say alot better barrel on the rifle. The rifle receiver is a older number one with the bar type extractor. My question is the argentine barrel he put on the rifle is made for the rolling extractor. Can I get a rolling extractor and put it in with the breach block instead of having the barrel milled for the bar type extractor? If not can I put in a breach block from a rolling extractor along with the same style extractor and make it work or is it better to just pull the barrel and have it milled? I dont have the rifle yet but he told me it needed milled but he also said he hadnt looked at it much and kinda lost interest before he got deep into it. The barrel is cut down to 32 inches and has the flats on each side near the receiver and has a nice front sight put on it and looks to have a good crown. The inside looks great as well. Would it be better to get a bar type barrel and sell mine? Or trade to someone who needs this style barrel? I am in the dark as far as what to do so anyone who knows the Old Remy rolling blocks please help me.

bubba.50
09-08-2009, 09:45 PM
i think you would have to replace both the extractor and the breechblock. one problem might be getting proper fit so that there isn't any play when action is closed. you may have to replace hammer also as in a package deal type situation. one place to try for parts is; www.rollingblockparts.com. maybe other posters can tell us both some other sources. having three rollers myself, i've found out that gunparts corp. and sarco don't have much. good luck and hope you find what you need, bubba.

Buckshot
09-10-2009, 02:08 AM
.............Ah, so the barrel is from an 1879 Argentine (rotary extractor) but the action is of the sliding bar type. I don't think there would be much difficulty in going to the rotary extractor. The barrel's breech is setup for it now. I would think the existing breechblock could be altered to work? I have an 1897 Smokless military (7x57) which has the sliding extractor and an 1879 Argentine with the rotary type, but never tore both rifles down at the same time to compare breechblocks. Have to check my RB book :-) Betcha Dave Higgenbotham at Lonestar could tell ya or do the alteration.

.................Buckshot

bubba.50
09-10-2009, 09:24 AM
hello, if you go to the rolling block parts page i mentioned before you will see a chart at bottom. click on no.1 and it will show both actions side by side. below that it shows parts break-down. look closely and you will see that rotary extractor block is recessed for extractor and a ring around the large hole for extractor to ride on. also in parts break-down they show extractor as being available. then go back to chart and click on original parts and it shows a couple of breechblocks, one i think is for rotary. may take a bit of negotiating for all these parts to get along. as buckshot says lonestar is great but, from what i read on these sites, you may have a long wait. good luck and keep us posted, bubba.

yotatrd4x4
09-13-2009, 03:06 AM
Well I thank both of yall for some help in this matter. I have not got the gun yet and hoped I could do the work myself. I am no gunsmith but from what I saw it looks as though you could remove the barrel and then measure the area which needs to be cutout to get the extractor to fit then take it to someone with a simple mill and have the slot cut to the depth you need. I would rather do whats cheaper and thats why I asked about swapping out extractors. I think if I have to buy a breech block and hammer I may have more money in it then if I just have a slot milled for the bar type extractor. The other question I had is do either of yall or someone you know have a set of 43 spanish headspace guages that I could borrow or even rent to make sure when I put the barrel back on that the headspace is correct? I think it may be easy to remove the barrel since wonderwolf just installed it recently but i am unsure. I just dont wanna have too much money tied into it. I plan on using it for moose and maybe even a big brown up here in Alaska with a nice black powder load. Anyway any more help would be great and I will keep yall posted and add pics when I get her going.

Buckshot
09-16-2009, 01:46 AM
..............I'd go with the rotary extractor setup. The barrel is already setup for it. The rotary extractor pivots on the same pin as the breechblock. As a consequence the the area shared by the extractor means the base of the breechblock will have to be narrowed a bit to accomodate it. If you check the link provided by bubba.50 you can see how the BB for the rotary extractor is modified to accept it.

Doing this will allow you to keep the same BB and hammer, and we'll assume they're original to your rifle action.

................Buckshot