PDA

View Full Version : No4 Mk1 "Longbranch"

FAsmus
09-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Gentlemen;

I have one of these rifles and I'm trying to disassemble it so as to work on the bedding.

My trouble is that I can't get it apart.

I've gotten the upper handguard off, the butt stock off and the trigger guard off but I can't see how to remove the forestock short of destroying it in the process.

If someone could post me what must be a simple procedure I'll be ever so grateful.

Thanks in advance,
Forrest

m.chalmers
09-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Forestock comes off before the butt stock! Use a rubber mallet and a wood block.

Go here:
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=57850

FAsmus
09-07-2009, 09:46 PM
M Chalmers;

OK

I went there ~ my! there are lots of places to look .. Is there a quick explanation?

Forrest

higgins
09-08-2009, 08:55 AM
I ask because you mention upper handguard (singular). If the rifle has been sporterized, a previous owner could have glass bedded the foreend without using enough release compound or putting it in all the right places. If it is in military configuration you will need to remove the front sight protector, which is held on by one screw (it comes off easily), then remove both of the barrel bands by sliding them off the front of the barrel after removing the front sight protector. Some Long Branch rifles that were converted to Mk 1/3 configuration after the war may have a screw reinforcement through the rear of the foreend instead of the riveted strap reinforcement; if so, remove the screw. As mentioned above, you may have to tap lightly with a hammer and a piece of wood on the upper rear ends of the foreend to loosen it.

FAsmus
09-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Higgens;

AH! So that is where you apply the "tapping" or by use of the "rubber hammer and wooden block" like Chalmers said.

I had no idea you see, where in the world such regular force should be given to the rifle. On the "upper rear ends of the forend" was all I needed and the wood popped off like nothing.

Thanks,
FAsmus

smokemjoe
09-15-2009, 10:24 AM
When you bed one of these, Do the action in 3-4 steps, 1 st the front part were the barrel lug is under the chamber, then work your way back, If you dont your never get it off, Then glass the buttstock to the wrist band, It will make them shoot good. I have done 4 of them this way. JOe