PDA

View Full Version : Hog Hunting

MGySgt
09-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Looking to doing some hog hunting this fall - 44 mag 629 classic. HAven't decided if it would be a RD 280 or the Group buy Keith, or the Lee 300 or .......

I was looking at a place called: Wilderness Hunting Lodge in Monterey, TN.

Anyone know anything about this place?

Drew

arcticbreeze
09-07-2009, 08:59 PM
I hog hunt down here in FL with a Super Blackhawk Hunter in 44 mag and any of those will work at the ranges I encounter. Very dense brush with most shots between 15-50 yds. With that said I use the Lee 310 gr boolit over a healthy charge of H110 or W296.

GabbyM
09-07-2009, 11:30 PM
As far as bullets either one of those you listed would work so very well. If you're looking to buy one or the other molds for a M29 I would and have gone with the big Kieth from Mihec. 280 grain is heavy for a revolver IMO but for a Marlin rifle the Ranch Dog moulds are designed for that and proven great shooters. Hog wont' know the difference.

I'm going to post this pic of a hogs anatomy I gleaned from a post here. Hogs are put together a bit different than most four legged critters. Resulting in if you shoot them where one would a deer for a lung shot you'll just gut shoot them. Hence the bullet proof reputation. You can see in the image the big shoulder bone protecting it's lungs in a frontal angle shot.

As in any animal if you get one coming at you shoot at a point center between the ears or farther back. As in aim between the ears and let any lag fall back. Shoot between the eyes and you'll just put a hole through their mouth pallet.

If they are facing you think spinal center line of the animal. Take your ¾ seconds to make your shot in that little aim point. With a 44 you've enough gun to make it happen. A load of 2400 is plenty but if you must you can use the WW 296. H110. Or AA #9. The later three are hard on my elbow.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=939

If you'd like to try some of the Kieths send me a PM. I think they weigh 255 grains which is plenty.

MGySgt
09-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the responses - I have shot the GB 44 Keith and have a few hunderd loaded. The Marlin shoots them just fine and all 3 of the 44 pistols shoot them well.

Still haven't decided on the boolit. I have taken them with the RCBS 44-250KT, but don't have any cast up. My SBH doesn't like them, a little on the small size for the .431+ throats.

Drew

rob45
09-23-2009, 04:37 AM
I was looking at a place called: Wilderness Hunting Lodge in Monterey, TN.

Anyone know anything about this place?

Drew

Just picked up on this thread, so sorry for the late response.

You can call Alan at 931-839-2091.

He runs a top-notch operation IMO. Rates are very good. LOTS OF GAME. Don't know if you're wanting just hogs, but he also has several exotics to offer, too. Even has bison. The last I checked, his policy was no kill, no pay. Don't know if that's all the way across the board or just trophy hunts, have to call and ask.

The amenities at the lodge are excellent. Great meals, comfortable surroundings, and excellent hospitality.

Very accommodating concerning the hunt itself. He will help handicapped hunters if that is a concern. The hunting can be as easy or challenging as you want, just let him know what gets you going. He has a wide variety of terrain to offer. Also excellent service after the hunt concerning meat, mounts, etc.

A very professionally run outfit.