PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 32-20DA Seat Die

Wayne Smith
09-07-2009, 11:58 AM
My Lyman Seat/Crimp die seats my cast Keith 32 boolit @ an OAL of 1.539" (that's at the top of the crimp groove) without the seating stem in place! This means I cannot seat it longer and still crimp. Yes, I have cleaned the die.

I got this die set mixed and used. It has an RCBS sizer/decapper, a Lee expander, and a Lyman seater. I have no idea what the DA stands for in the die number - that's what is on the die.

I have a lot more room in the cylinder of my Hand Ejector, First Change revolver.

It's not a problem in terms of using the die and shooting the gun, it's more accurate than my eyes allow at this point in my life. It just doesn't seem right.

Any comments?

HORNET
09-08-2009, 07:47 PM
The DA indicate a Double-Acting die that will seat and roll crimp. Try taking one of those boolits and tapping it through like slugging a barrel. It may be seating just from the diameterr interference. They can be honed out a little if needed. Probably giving real good alignment the way it is......

TAWILDCATT
09-09-2009, 01:58 PM
double adjustable.it decaps and seats.
back the screw out,adjust the chamber till the shell stops turning it down will crimp it.put bullet in and set screw so bullet is where you want it.back screw of and turn chamber in to crimp reset screw.there are numbers on chamber to tell what it is.some of us have the numbers.I have truline jr presses that use those dies. I think the number is 123.

HORNET
09-09-2009, 07:21 PM
With an RCBS and a Lee in the mix, I don't think that's a 310 die set...most Lyman seating dies I've seen are marked DA 'cause they'll crimp if you turn them in a ways(rifle or pistol dies) or you can use them just for seating by backing them off from the case mouth a bit.