PDA

View Full Version : .400 Cor-Bon?

Potsy
09-07-2009, 10:20 AM
I was in a gun store the other day looking over a Dan Wesson 10mm and shooting the breeze with the counter guy (who seemed really knowledgeable) when hebrought up the .400 Cor-Bon.
I had heard of it, but didn't really know what it was. Apparently, it's a .45 ACP case necked down to .40 cal that will work with standard 1911 mags, all you need is a drop in barrel. It does run at somewhat higher pressure than the ACP and runs very close to 10mm performance, so you might go with a heavier spring but besides that, all you need is a drop in barrel.
I thought one of Clark's barrels with the comp might be pretty cool, but they had discontinued them; though they didn't say why.
It's not something I'm going to run out and do tomorrow, but it sounded like a pretty neat conversion if I wanted to shoot stuff "way out there" with my Kimber. Up close and at deer hunting ranges, I don't think a 180 @ 1200fps is going to do anything a 230 @ 850 won't do.
Anybody have any experience with a .400 Cor-Bon? Places to look for Barrels? Articles?
Thanks!!

Johnch
09-07-2009, 11:37 AM
I was in a gun store the other day looking over a Dan Wesson 10mm and shooting the breeze with the counter guy (who seemed really knowledgeable) when hebrought up the .400 Cor-Bon.
I had heard of it, but didn't really know what it was. Apparently, it's a .45 ACP case necked down to .40 cal that will work with standard 1911 mags, all you need is a drop in barrel.
Yep
Standard mags , brass is made by running a 45 ACP case through the sizer die
That simple

But if you run both a 400 and 45
Be sure to lable the mags if kept loaded
The 45's jam up the 400 :oops:
And when you fire a 400 in a 45 , it turns back into a 45 case instantly :veryconfu:veryconfu

It does run at somewhat higher pressure than the ACP and runs very close to 10mm performance, so you might go with a heavier spring but besides that, all you need is a drop in barrel.
Nope Standard pressures , but the increase in case capasity helps with the proformance
But I added a heavyer spring anyway
As I thought I wanted to run top loads a lot and I found even start loads worked with the new spring
I thought one of Clark's barrels with the comp might be pretty cool, but they had discontinued them; though they didn't say why.
It's not something I'm going to run out and do tomorrow, but it sounded like a pretty neat conversion if I wanted to shoot stuff "way out there" with my Kimber. Up close and at deer hunting ranges, I don't think a 180 @ 1200fps is going to do anything a 230 @ 850 won't do.
Anybody have any experience with a .400 Cor-Bon? Places to look for Barrels? Articles?
Thanks!!
Not sure where you will find a on the shelf barrel
I use mainly 175 gr cast
Lee at one time or still do made dies
Starline makes/made brass

OH BTW Rem Golden Saber HP J bullets do not work well in the 400
As the GS bullet is a 2 dia bullet
And I was never able to get them to seat in the cases at the right spot to function

John

bravokilo
09-07-2009, 07:00 PM
For a barrel try www.sarcoinc.com, $45 for a 5" and IIRC they are hammer forged. (See handgun parts and 1911). Don't forget to order a link and pin at the same time! You can download their Shotgun News pages and read more info on the barrels.

I have Lee dies, including the FCD. Hornady also does/did make them as I have seen a set.

I wish I could give you a range report, but I discovered my 1911 needs better sights to work with these old peepers!

For more info google ".400 Corbon". There ain't much! The newest (18th?) edition of Handloader's Digest has article on it. Hope this helps!

Good Luck!!

BK

Blackwater
09-10-2009, 11:56 PM
John, I have a 5" .400 CB barrel and a case of 1,000 brass, and it's a real hoot to shoot. Don't know if it'd be the same for you, but I have a drop in barrel that I got in a good deal, and when I slipped it in my gun, the sight setting was the same. The recoil is a bit sharper, or "quicker" or whatever you'd want to call it, but not much heavier than a full or +P .45 load in the same wt. gun. I'll tell you one thing, though, it's a LOT flatter shooting than the ol' .45 ACP, and I'm a big fan of the .45.

Only thing I've shot with it was an armadillo that was running up a deep ditch bank at about 12 yds. from me. Hit it right in the center of the right ham as it ran almost directly away from me, and the bullet (135gr. Cor Bon fac. load) exited just to the left of center of its chest. In the process, it laid out almost all of its entrails out in front of the carcas nearly 18" right in front of the body. It's the 2nd animal I've ever shot that died without a visible quiver. It just plomped straight down at the shot, and I never even saw the first dying quiver. It was as though it had a light switch that was suddenly turned off. That wasn't what I'd ever expect to see again, but .... well, there it is, and anything that'll do that ain't a bad round to tote IMHO.

I also took a shot at a metal plate at a range and was amazed to find it was dead on at 100 yds., whereas my old .45, with almost identical close range sighting, would have been quite low.

Darn nice round to play with, but as yet I haven't reloaded that starline brass. That short neck can't be a plus for handloaders, but like most things, it ought to be "overcomeable" if I can coin that term here. Can't recall now whether it was AA #5 or 7 that was a real good powder in the data I have seen. I think Blue Dot was also real good.

Nobody who's ever shot it has been unimpressed by it, though most still (like me) use the .45. I keep my .45 barrel on mine these days just because it's quicker and easier for me to reload. I keep my ACP dies in an old Lyman T press, and it's just easier to go with what I have and save time rather than loading the .400. However, if I were after deer or were in a gunfight with 2-legged critters, I think I'd really prefer the .400 if the magic fairy allowed me one wish, and limited me to handguns. The .400's feeding is great. Very easy to slip a .400 bullet into a .45 cal. hole, ya' know?

If you get a barrel, get a good supply of brass too. I have a feeling it's going to be (already is maybe?) hard to find, and you can't neck down ACP's because the result will be a bit short.

BTW, that Olympic barrel shoots like it's got eyes, FWIW. Unfortunately, my vision's going downhill, and I can't see the sights like I really need to any more.

softpoint
09-11-2009, 09:18 AM
I played with the .400 Cor-Bon several years ago. The short neck is NOT good as far as reloading. This cartridge head spaces on the shoulder, and the bullets really should have a crimp groove. The problem lies with the short neck's ability to keep the bullet's from setting back in the case on feeding. I had Hornady dies, and wonder now if the dies were responsible for not enough neck tension. I found the problem was worse with necked down .45 brass than with Starline brass.
Some guns seem to give less problems than others, I liked the cartridge, I just didn't get the reliability to the point where I was happy with it.:lovebooli

broomhandle
09-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Hi Guys,

I have 400 Cor - Bon barrel & RCBS dies!
I put the barrel in a Rock Island frame.

Standard spring at first, then went to a 18 or 20 pound spring. It works like GANGBUSTERS! accurate but a little snappy.

I was afraid of the short neck too, but is does not seem to be a problem with my dies / gun setup sofar.
I have fired about 200 rounds of 40cal. bullets in various weights. No problem with set back. I was thinking about buying the tool that canturlures (spelling) the bullet but have not felt it was needed.
Been thinking about a six inch barrel for my Para Super Hogg.
I'm guessing you can get another 100 fps from it!

I really think it is a GREAT round!

Best,
broomhandle

softpoint
09-11-2009, 03:45 PM
I think it's kind of a balancing act between a pistol that feeds really smoothly, the amount of grip the caseneck has, and magazine lips.
If you play around with several, (A friend and I did) you may wind up opting for a cannelure tool. Of course that adds to the hassle of loading for the .400 a bit, So I wouldn't do that unless needed.
One of the pistols that gave no problems at all with the .400 was a Glock M21, drop a barrel in and go! Used an EFK fire dragon barrel. I'm not really a big Glock fan, but putting credit where it is deserved, they do generally feed well.
I'd stay at 165gr. or lighter jacketed bullets, again ,because of the short neck. :coffee:

bruce drake
06-30-2014, 04:18 PM
I just purchased a Swenson semi-fitted barrel from Midway USA for under $70 with a link pin and link added to the cost. The LEE Dies were only another $30 and it should be delivered before the end of the week. Hopefully I can get it fitted and ready to go before the end of July. I've got LEE's 175gr 40cal bullet mold that I use to reload my Father-In-Law's 40S&W so I'll be starting with that boolit first. I hope to be able give you a range report in a couple of weeks in another thread.

harley45
06-30-2014, 07:05 PM
Good Project, It's a fun round but I'm betting as you play with it and get deeper into it's reloading you will eventually go back and buy that Dan Wesson 10mm it can do things the Cor-Bon can't with heavier bullets and careful handloading.

Gunslinger1911
06-30-2014, 09:57 PM
Bought a 5" 400 Cor-Bon barrel years ago, and 500 Starline cases (in stock ! - that tells you how long ago that was). 20 lb spring. 180 and 200 g boolets shot great - yup, a little "snappy" in the 1911. I'll have to look up the loads.
I'm not much of a rifle reloader, so I don't have much experience with bottle neck cases, seemed kind of a pain in the butt after years of straight wall pistol with carbide dies ! lol

bruce drake
06-30-2014, 10:08 PM
Well, I bought it for the fact its a neck down from a 45ACP case. I own a RIA 1911 setup as a switch-barrel between 9mm Luger and 38 Super so I decided to give my 45ACP 1911 a second barrel as well. I already reload 40 S&W for the father in law so I'm fine with using the LEE 175gr Truncated cone I already am casting for him. If I need something with more thwack I'll go back to 45 ACP or pick up one of the rifles...

MrBFR
07-01-2014, 09:32 AM
You don't hear a lot about the 400 CorBon, but it's got some balls to it. It's not simply a necked down .45 ACP, it's slightly stronger and rated at somewhere around 29K PSI. If you don't handload, I do believe Underwood ammo sells some .400 CorBon that's loaded fairly nicely. Everybody has their own opinion, but to me I wouldn't split hairs over 100-150fps between cartridges. I mean if the 10mm is slightly faster, it won't really matter.

warboar_21
07-01-2014, 03:17 PM
One of my former coworkers had a custom 1911 long slide made and had 2 barrels for it. One was the tried and true .45ACP and the other was the new(at the time) 400Corbon. He also had a 22lr/17machII slide barrel combo made for it. Anyways the 400 Corbon was quite the cartridge and certainly was accurate at distance. He bought all the reloading components and was going to have me reload for him but he ended up taking another job and transferred out of state before I got a chance to load it up. If it is anything like trying to load .357sig I would think twice. While not impossible it is a little more work than straight walled cartridges.

Since I already have a 10mm I see no reason for me to go out and buy the Corbon round.

TXGunNut
07-01-2014, 11:16 PM
Not a fan of Cor-Bon but this is one product they introduced that intrigued me. When it came out I was struggling with trying to load the still-new 357 Sig and not having much luck with it as it required a TC bullet and there wasn't much to choose from at the time. Long story short, the 400 Cor-Bon reminded me too much of the 357 Sig or I would have ordered a barrel. In a 1911 I think spring choice will be critical and frame battering would be a concern.

bruce drake
07-05-2014, 07:10 PM
I took the new barrel for my 1911 out to the pistol range today with the Father in Law. 5gr of American Select powder with the 175gr Lee Truncated Cone Tumble Lube boolit.

He had his 40S&W Smith/Sigma 40 with the same bullet loaded over 6.4gr of Unique.

I touched off two quick ones down the new barrel...FIL looks over at me and says...Wow! that's loud...

Sounded just fine to me... ;)

Bruce