PDA

View Full Version : CH swag-o-matic

Jjed
09-06-2009, 06:52 PM
I have a CH swag-o-matic press with the dies for making what looks like 357 hp boolits,
I never used them myself and don’t think all the parts are there. The press works, has a little paint on the side. If someone can give me an idea what is worth or are interested in it any info would be appreciated. Sorry for the poor pic’s best I can do with my cell phone.
Thanks
Jim
p.s.
any questions please call or email me at 724-689-9142.
jjed@lhtot.com
thanks

kawalekm
09-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Hi Jim
Do you have the die body? That's the part that slips into the frame of the press. Looking at the right-most pic the die part with the extension on the end is your nose punch. You screw that into the top of your press. The little round screw ring in the same pic is the lock ring for the die body. You slip the die body into the central cavity, then screw the ring over it to hold it in place. You need to align the die body so a lead ribbon can be extruded out of the die body pin-hole. The little piston part is the base punch which slips inside the die body. You can get a whole parts and assembly pic here on this page.
http://www.castpics.net/
Look up in the research and data section.

If you don't have a die body you might be able to contact the folks at www.ch4d.com. They still have whole draw of swagomatic parts and you might be able to get one from them.
Good luck,
Michael

docone31
09-07-2009, 01:55 PM
I am kinda curious,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=220331200969&Category=31825&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2
are these CH4D dies?, or a variant?
Has anyone used them?

Jjed
09-07-2009, 08:14 PM
Machael
Yes the die is in the ram, didn't get it in the picture (sorry). I can send you pictures if you like.
Thanks
Jim

Jjed
09-07-2009, 08:26 PM
more pictures

gjb
09-07-2009, 11:35 PM
It is complete for whatever caliber it is. I have 2 swag-o-matic and one herters. The herters is a lot stronger. I just got a used lathe that I am rebuilding so that is why I have not been around.
Atlas 10inch and 54 in bed.(36 actual c to c) taper attachment, quick change gears all for 475.00 but it is very tight and clean.
Are you selling ? If not what caliber dies are you looking for. Most of the swag-o-matic will only due checks or 1/2 jackets. Some of nose punches if you want to do 3/4 jackets you have to cut off the nose punch and re-cut it (no big deal) the it does a great job on longer jackets but does not do a good job on checks.

For the age of them they are really good I am sure most of us on this board have used or seen them used, at least anyone over 50. I started with Herters in the early 70's and they worked good too.

Jjed
09-08-2009, 10:06 PM
GJB looking to sale.
Looks to be setup for 357 HP, I never used it, picked it up at a sale and have no use for it. The guy was going to scrap it if it didn't sell, thought someone on this site would be interested. Make me an offer.
Jim

Storydude
09-08-2009, 10:12 PM
I'll pay 2X going spot scrap price right now. :D

Caveape
09-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Hey!
I'll pay 10x spot price for scrap!

kawalekm
09-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Saw a swagomatic on E-Bay last week. Was bidding on it till it went past 60$.

Caveape
09-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Jjed,
sent you a PM.

Danth
09-14-2009, 06:52 PM
It is complete for whatever caliber it is. I have 2 swag-o-matic and one herters. The herters is a lot stronger. I just got a used lathe that I am rebuilding so that is why I have not been around.
Atlas 10inch and 54 in bed.(36 actual c to c) taper attachment, quick change gears all for 475.00 but it is very tight and clean.
Are you selling ? If not what caliber dies are you looking for. Most of the swag-o-matic will only due checks or 1/2 jackets. Some of nose punches if you want to do 3/4 jackets you have to cut off the nose punch and re-cut it (no big deal) the it does a great job on longer jackets but does not do a good job on checks.

For the age of them they are really good I am sure most of us on this board have used or seen them used, at least anyone over 50. I started with Herters in the early 70's and they worked good too.

Hello: Question: I'd like to do 3/4 jackets in my swag-o- matic 429 die, but can't get the lead to bleed out the bleeder hole. I must have to modify the nose punch like you said. How is this done? Thanks, Danth

lotech
09-15-2009, 09:37 AM
I have several pieces of old swaging equipment & accessories I'll be listing for sale, hopefully within a month (no guarantee). I have to go through everything and catalog it. Included are items like a beat up Swag-O-Matic press and quite a few dies, nose punches, Mity-Mite press, Sierra bullet jackets in several sizes, etc. There's probably 10 or so bullet molds, some old, some not. A few of the items are pictured in a swaging article in HANDLOADER magazine #253 if anyone's interested.

lotech
09-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Guys, regarding the PMs, I appreciate the interest in my stuff. Other committments
prevent me from tackling this chore at the moment, but I'll make up a list as soon as possible and post it in the right section. I'll have to do some research to find out what I should ask for many of the items. Have one or two oddballs I haven't even identified yet. Most everything works, dirt and slight surface rust on some things. Don't want to get anyone's hopes up regarding a treasure find, but this stuff is in my way.

Sixgun Symphony
09-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Saw a swagomatic on E-Bay last week. Was bidding on it till it went past 60$.

Keep checking back, they turn up from time to time and most sell for about $30.

Sixgun Symphony
09-18-2009, 04:51 PM
I wish that someone would do a YouTube training video with the Swag-O-Matic and post it here.

mikesdad
09-18-2009, 11:25 PM
I have had a SoM on my bench for cleaning for 2 years and finall got to it when i retired.

I have lost the handle and toggle that connects the handle to the link to the ram. I can machine the part if I can get a good diagram / close photos and measurements.

Any body give me a hand out there? I am willing to pay reasonable fee for time and effort.
Thanx

Sixgun Symphony
09-19-2009, 03:24 PM
I know that CH/4D still has parts for the Swag-O-Matic press, you should give them a call.

Also check ebay from time to time and be sure to post some "WTB" advertisements in the various gunforums like this one. You will likely find people that will let a complete press go cheap because it had not been used in decades.

mikesdad
09-19-2009, 08:56 PM
I tried CH / 4D. They have no parts and the prints were destroyed in 1968. Looks lie a file and hacksaw for me.

buckshot&brass
09-20-2009, 01:27 AM
Mikesdad
It will be well over a week before I can take pictures and measurements but if your willing to wait....

Jjed
09-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks Guys
Sold it today.
Thanks again
Jim

mikesdad
09-20-2009, 09:32 PM
it has sat for two years. a little more time is not a problem at all. i can fixate on something else for a while.

remember, adult ADHD is called multi-tasking !!

Jjed
09-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Sold
Thanks