PDA

View Full Version : Supresser and cast bullets

Char-Gar
09-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Anybody has any experience firing cast bullet in a supressed rifle? Does the extra lube etc, do damage to the "can"?

cheese1566
09-06-2009, 05:18 PM
I had a friend who bought one for his AR-15/223. When he bought it, he was told not to use it on .22LR with his AR-15 22 conversion. He was told he ran the possibility of "soldering" the can closed and not being able to disassemble it for maintenance and cleaning. He was told it wasn't actually a solder result, but the lead accumulates in the threaded cap joints and makes it nearly impossible to take apart.

Sounds feasible with maybe cast bullets too...

I would check with Tactical Innovations- they made his can.

But then again, our nearest SRT (swat) team uses a Ruger 10/22 with a suppressor for shooting out street lamps and porch lights.

runfiverun
09-06-2009, 08:45 PM
from what i understand the soft lube coats the inside of the supressor making it pretty much a non issue.

JeffinNZ
09-07-2009, 06:44 AM
Yeap. I have a .32-20 on a Martini action with a .303 British barrel and a suppressor. I shoot exclusively cast bullet in the wee rifle from 110 - 240gr. Lube is not an issue in the suppressor and it can be disassembled for cleaning.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/100-0023_IMG.jpg

Dragon 31
09-07-2009, 08:39 AM
I shoot a Ruger MKII suppressor (of which there are many). I have never heard of anyone having any throuble.

Larry Gibson
09-07-2009, 08:59 AM
I have a done a considerable amount of shooting with Sionic suppressors on .308W rifles and on 9mm and .45 ACP MAC 10s. With cast bullet loads using 311291 and 311041 at 2000+ fps the was considerable accumulation of lube build up in the suppressor. The Sionics would carbon up rather quickly and soon became very difficult if not impossible to disassemble for cleaning. I soon discontinued the use of cast bullets in them. If the suppressor can be readily disassembled (most of the newer disigns are readily disassembled) for cleaning then I wouldn't have a problem with cast in them at the higher velocity/RPM range.

Conversely on the sub guns with much lower velocities/RPM there was never a problem with using cast bullets and thousands were used in both 9mm and .45 ACP.

I also have considerable experience shooting .22LR throught numerous suppressors on both rifles and handguns. Lube was never a problem with any design of suppressor.

Larry Gibson

Trey45
09-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Jeff, that's a nice bit of kit there!

JeffinNZ
09-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Jeff, that's a nice bit of kit there!

Thanks. I had it built special like. Got tired of hares not falling over when hit with a subsonic .22RF so decided more diameter and momentum was called for. Theory appears to work rather well.

nicholst55
09-07-2009, 10:12 PM
I have heard a lot of anecdotal evidence of cast clogging up cans on submachineguns. I don't know if it is due to the volume of fire, or the cast boolits.

I also hear regularly that .22 LR ammo will fill a can with lead over time. That's why the quality units can all be disassembled for cleaning, and why most centerfire cans cannot be - they don't figure on you using cast in them.

Like I said, it's all anecodtal evidence, but you'll get an earfull right quick if you ask about it on some of the NFA/Class 3 boards.