PDA

View Full Version : Lucky Dog

captaint
09-06-2009, 02:58 PM
I have had my name on the Lucky Dog list for some time now, and my number finally came up. This week I got for free, mind you, 500 lbs of linotype. This is in the wrappers, all boxed up from the manufacturer. The boxes weigh from 86 to 35 lbs. All manner of letters- different fonts and sizes. Bonanza!!! This stuff must be at least 25 years old. Really dusty and brittle cardboard. Made by Barco Typefounders, Bensonville Ill. I'm always saying, man, why don't I run into that kind of deal?? Well, this time, I'm the Lucky Dog!!! Does take up lots of room tho. I know, "shut up pal, and count your blessings"... Just had to express my glee. No longer can I say - why doesn't that happen to me??:p:p:p:p Enoy, Mike

hammerhead357
09-06-2009, 06:20 PM
I don't think you have linotype. I think it is probably mono/foundry type if it is in idividual letters and different fonts. Linotype was/is just that a line of type that spelled out words and sentences in most cases.
Can you post a picture of some of this type metal and then people here can help you identify it....Wes

Calamity Jake
09-07-2009, 09:27 AM
What you have is monotype, it's a little harder than lino but still makes one of the best pot sweeteners around. I would think there is some Lino mixed in the boxes with it, you can seperate if out or just smelt it all together and cast ingots for mixing later.
25% mixed with WW gets me 17-19 BHN AC'ed, OHT'ed brings BHN up to 25-27

captaint
09-07-2009, 04:42 PM
.Yes, I was aware that it may be(and probably is) monotype. I was not aware that there was much diff between the two. Only a few packs are open, and it's all letters in little individual blocks. Either way, I'm real pleased. Thanks for the advice on the mix. I'll give that a shot. Enjoy Mike

hammerhead357
09-08-2009, 12:01 AM
Mike there is a lot of difference. The mono/foundry type has a high content of copper and this can realy mess up casting. I think you can find information here how to handle that....Wes