PDA

View Full Version : Fix zinc problem?

gravely
09-06-2009, 12:38 PM
I melted ww's for the first time yesterday and my pot (cast iron/turker fryer) got hotter quicker than I anticipated and I am pretty sure that a number of zinc wws were in the mix. I know have about 75 lbs of ingots contaminated to some extent. My question is can I blend these contaminated ignots with clean lead to still make reasonably good bullets? After this error, I smelted another 4 or 5 batches and was careful to not let the temp get above 700 degrees and usually found 2-4 zinc or steel ww's that didn't melt.

I really hate to lose this lead but don't want screw everything up.

thanks for your advice.

archer

Echo
09-06-2009, 12:47 PM
I believe you can re-melt the batch, and keep the temp low, around 600*, maybe a little more, flux, and stir, and the zinc will mostly gather on the surface to be scooped off.
>
I did some rendering yesterday (55 lbs WW's from eBay, dang good mix, pretty clean, no zinkies, no stickies, and few itty-bitties), and then re-did a clump of stuff that I had put aside. Slow fire, and the nasty stuff congregated on the surface where it was scooped off and thrown in the recycle bin. The residue clinks nicely, and was put in the ? box.
>
I welcome any comments on the above.

Pepe Ray
09-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Zinc contaminated lead is a great source for round ball. Shotgun, muzzle loaders and sling shot.
Pepe Ray

docone31
09-06-2009, 05:10 PM
I incorporate 2% zinc in my melt for paper patching.
You can however, melt it all, or just the batch suspected of contamination, and let it cool to around 650*.
The oatmeal on the top will be zinc. Scoop it off and save it for harder batches of boolitts.
Just let the melt sit there, the zinc will go to the top.

runfiverun
09-06-2009, 09:08 PM
yeah don't mess with it just let it sit for a few minutes then stir it to the middle and scoop out it'll look like oatmeal.
if the stuff was grey and fizzy/foamy thats antimony coming out just flux that back in.
i save my zincers and add them into special projects,zinc is soluble up to 2% and adds a ton of hardness to pure lead.