PDA

View Full Version : Lipsey .44 Spl Ruger Blackhawk.

Ridgerunner
09-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Having been a Skeeter Skelton, Elmer Keith devotee for many years, I was able to swap some ammo for a .44 Spl. Blackhawk. Using the Keith 429421 over either Trailboss or Unique, it is a one holer at 10 yards if I focus on fundamentals. It is just down right fun to shoot. I also had a M28 S&W Highway Patrolman converted to .44 spl. by David Clements, and it too is a great gun. I was able to glom a set of stag grips with decent bark on 'em and I ordered a Tyler's T-grip. It looks sharp and definately has an old school air. The Ruger has the 5.5" bbl and the S&W has the 4" tube. Properly loaded, the .44 Spl hits hard and shoots straight. Reckon these are keepers....

bisley45
09-06-2009, 12:19 PM
you know we need pic dont you:bigsmyl2:

Ridgerunner
09-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Sir, if I can get the good wife to take some, I'll be glad to. Basically, I am semi-illiterate on these things.

targetshootr
09-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Nice going. I've got one of the new 44 mag flat tops and it shoots great too but my favorite gun is a 44 spl by Clements. It shot my best target ever.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/targetshootr/DSCN02250009-1.jpg

O.S.O.K.
09-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Congrats! Everybody that has one and has posted about it is very pleased. With one exception - the grips are sharp and thin. The thin part I could live with but that sharp checking on them really started to hurt after a while.

I looked around and found what I was looking for - at Ruger's web site of all places! These rosewood replacement stocks are still thin but don't have any checkering where it counts :) They look pretty sharp too if I don't say so myself :)

http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/medium/HPIM2204.JPG

My load for it is the old Skeeter load of 250 Keith SWC (mine drop at 260) plain base over 7.5 grains of Unique for around 950 fps. This load shoots very well if I do my part.

http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/medium/HPIM2189.JPG

The ones on the left - the ones on the right are 300 grain .452".

I have some Alliant Power Pistol powder coming - this tested out to be the stand-out for pressure/velocity/accuracy in a recent article by Brian Pearce. I'ts also a good one for 10 mm Auto and 38 Special, so will be very useful for me.

That holster shown is an inexpensive Hunter model - and I really like it!

http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/medium/HPIM2200.JPG

Dale53
09-07-2009, 05:01 PM
Targetshootr, that is a FINE target, sir! However, I would respectfully suggest that you can shoot sitting OR offhand, but you can't do both at the same time:kidding:.

At any rate, I used to use Elmer's old sitting position (back against something solid and supported my revolver between my knees) and scored well at 200 yards. This was before pistol silhouette shooting came into vogue. That was with my OM Super Blackhawk.

I finally received my Ruger .44 Lipsey Special a few weeks ago. The small grips didn't fit me and I was a bit put out when I learned that Packmayr NOR Hogue make rubber grips for these fine revolvers. However, due to the kindness of "What Cheer" I learned that Colt SAA grips fit pretty dern good (they're no longer made, either). He was kind enough to send a pair to me. NOW, I can shoot my revolver without pain and the grips flat out FIT me well.

I have been shooting a target load of the 240-250 Keith bullet ahead of 4.1 of Clays with good results. I also slipped a few Skeeter loads in the revolver and they are as good as always (I have several .44 Specials).

I guess, in light of a particular article, I should say that I have several "NOT SO SPECIAL .44's" (just joshing, Mike). I have always been fond of the caliber but I have been a reloader and bullet caster since I was thirteen or fourteen. Many, many years ago, I settled on Skeeter's load, would run 1000 of them in a batch, and SHOOT.

All of my deer have been taken with .44 Magnums but I have shot a good bit of small game with my Special. You do NOT have to shoot a snowshoe or cotton tail rabbit twice with the Skeeter load and you CAN take that to the bank. Frankly, for most woods ranges, the .44 Special, properly loaded will handle deer and black bear (as well as hogs) with no problems.

I think that Ruger has hit a home run with the Lipsey Special and would like to see that made a regular offering. Whether or not that would be practical for them (gun buyers do not always make rational decisions about caliber) or not, I cannot say. At least, WE have done our part in buying the Lipsey Special. The rest is up to Ruger and the gun buying public.

Dale53

1874Sharps
09-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Dale53,

I would be interested in seeing a photo of the Lipsey Special, as I not heard of it before this thread. Can you tell us a little more about it?

I also load for the 44 Special for my Colt SAA. The Lyman 255 grain (I do not remember the mold number off hand) SWC shoots quite well out of it with a load of 6.8 grains of Unique or 25 grains of FFFG black powder. Both are pleasant to shoot and I use the black powder loads for Cowboy Action Shooting and the smokeless (and sometimes black) loads for informal target fun. It is a great caliber and there have been, and are, a number of fine guns out there that chamber it.

KCSO
09-07-2009, 05:48 PM
That is one class act!!!! That's the kind of gun I like and it will do about all you need to do with a handgun.

Tater
09-07-2009, 05:50 PM
I also got one of the Ruger 44 Specials, 4 5/8. I started with Unique but have found that WST, 231,AA#5, AA#7 and 2400 work as well or better than Unique for me. I never would have tried these powders if not for the 44 Special. Most of my loading for hand guns was for the 44 mag. I was happy with Unique and 296. I went with the Hogue Pau Ferro grips. They are fatter and required minimal fitting. The 44 Special is Special!

EOD3
09-07-2009, 05:55 PM
I've been thinking about having a .44 Special cylinder fitted to one of my magnums but I've heard that accuracy can be less than stellar. 8-)

Dale53
09-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Dale53,

I would be interested in seeing a photo of the Lipsey Special, as I not heard of it before this thread. Can you tell us a little more about it?

For a great picture of a 4 5/8" .44 Lipsey Special, look above your post to POST #5.

Last year, Lipsey (a large Ruger Distributor in Louisiana) commissioned Ruger to build 2000 Ruger Flattops in .44 Special. These are built on the medium Ruger frame (same size as the OM Flattop .357 Ruger SA and also the same size as the New Vaquero, and the 50th Anniversary Flattop .357 magnum). 1000 were to be built with a barrel length of 4 5/8" and 1000 were to be built with a barrel length of 5½"). They started shipping this spring. I believe that there will be one more shipment in October.

I have the 5½" barrel. The factory grips are moulded black plastic. The grip frame is steel (the whole gun is steel including frame, barrel, ejector rod housing, and grip frame). Here are the specs:

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdResults?type=Revolver&subtype=Single+Action&bct=Yes&SearchIn=All&family=Model&variation=Variation&imagefield.x=4&imagefield.y=16&caliber=.44+Special&finish=Blued&blength=5+1%2F2%22&work=Yes

These are only available from a Lipsey Dealer and there is a waiting list. I ordered mine from my Dealer Friend. He was not set up with Lipsey, so had to get that accomplished. I waited from May until about three weeks ago before mine was shipped. It was worth the wait. There are some of them around (some have shown up on Gun Broker at somewhat inflated prices) and some dealers pre-ordered a bunch of them, etc. 2000 won't last long, in my opinion.

Mine had perfect cylinder throats (.431") and .430" bullets work perfectly. They are nicely finished (somewhat better than "Ruger normal" IMO). All in all, a very nice package. Other than needing a trigger job, these are READY! Mine will be shot a good bit, that's for sure.

Dale53

targetshootr
09-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Targetshootr, that is a FINE target, sir! However, I would respectfully suggest that you can shoot sitting OR offhand, but you can't do both at the same time
Dale53

Thanks kindly Dale. Our range has your basic hard plastic chairs and I sit like you would at a bar-b-q and hold the gun with arms outstretched. So far I get better results that way than using bags or any other position.

Dale53
09-08-2009, 07:51 PM
targetshootr;
Come think of it, I have shot a couple of deer that way (sitting on a portable stool, in my case) to keep a low profile in a blind. In fact, the last deer I shot (a right decent 10 pointer taken with the Lee C430-310-RF GC bullet from a Model 29 (8 3/8" barrel) .44 Magnum was taken that way.

Dale53

Leadforbrains
09-12-2009, 01:37 PM
There is a Lipseys .44 with the 51/2 barrel at Green top sporting goods near Ashland Va.
They want $519 for it.
I have a 51/2 and I am really wanting the 43/4 if I can find the funds for it.

O.S.O.K.
09-16-2009, 11:35 AM
1874Sharps: here's a pic of it in "as issue" form with the Ruger black plastic grips.

http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/medium/HPIM2192.JPG

Its the sharp checkering around the Ruger logo medallion on the left side that was ripping the skin off of the inside of my right thumb after shooting a box of ammo. The new rosewood grips are smooth there and feel great - offer some extra grip where you want it and none where you don't... somebody did their homework.

Lead4brains: I've had the same thought - only I want the 5 1/2" version to go with my 4 3/4"... [smilie=l:

Dale53
09-16-2009, 12:49 PM
I took my .44 Lipsey Special to the range, this morning, and this was my best target (25 yards, standing):

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/img063.jpg

I'm getting almost respectable with this wonderful little revolver. Why oh why did Ruger wait fifty years??? Well, I guess I'll quit "complaining" - don't want to "Look a gift horse in the mouth"...

This IS a FINE piece of hardware, me hearties, it is, it IS!!!

If you can find one of these, I will certainly encourage you to get on board. You will NOT regret it!

Dale53

rkrcpa
09-18-2009, 12:30 PM
I'll second (third?) that. My Lipsey 44 SPL displays the same accuracy that everyone speaks of. And POI was POA right out of the box. I had it out last week and could go six for six on the steel plate at 50 yards (offhand). It's a keeper.

ChuckS1
09-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Dale,

What's the load you used in the pic?

Dale53
09-18-2009, 08:53 PM
ChuckS1;
That particular load is a light target load - 250 Keith (#503 H&G WW+2% tin sized .430") ahead of 4.1 Clays with a WW LP primer. This one should work well on edible small game and the occasional coyote, ground hog, coon, etc.

Another load that works well but has quite a bit more power is the Skeeter load (7.5 grs of Unique behind the same 250 gr Keith). The Skeeter load will give you near 1000 fps (depending on barrel length, etc) and has a good bit more recoil. It is a VERY useful field load. I have shot a number of snowshoe rabbits with this one and if you shoot them in the head or through the "slats" there is no meat loss. Should also work well as a short range deer load but for deer I would use the heavy Keith load (16.5-17.0 grs of 2400 behind the Keith 250 gr bullet). That will give you 1200 fps and will shoot clear through a large deer lengthwise. I've done it...

Dale53

Leadforbrains
09-18-2009, 09:45 PM
Nice shooting Dale!

O.S.O.K.
09-19-2009, 12:52 PM
If anyone wants a definitive listing of 44 Special loads, I would direct you to Handloader's August-September 2005 issue (#236) and Brian Pearce's article on the subject - he provides three power levels of loads and explains which handguns are appropriate with each. He did exclude the Taurus 44 Specials which he says are very inconsistent in manufacture as far as dimensions - they are all fine for the "level one" loads however.

Also, he gives more 44 Special loads as pertaining to the Ruger 44 Special new BH in Handloader's June 2009 issue (#260).

A load that I haven't tried yet (for lack fo the propellant in hand) is 8 grains of Alliant Power Pistol for 998 fps with the cast keith boolit (260 grains from my mold and ww alloy) - OK for all 44 Special revolvers in good shape. You can also juice it up to 9 grains and get 1093 fps in stronger revolvers. I've got the Power Pistol now and plan to load some up and give them a try.

Another top pressure level load would be 19 grains of H110 under that same boolit - 1200 fps +/-. Again, this is only fit for strong revolvers like the Ruger BH and the S&W 696.

Please be careful with any load data provided!

Dale53
09-19-2009, 01:08 PM
I just posted some light target loads from my 5½" .44 Lipsey Special here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=63085

Dale53