09-06-2009, 11:31 AM
I was wondering
Will I need to ream the neck ?

BTW I will be using LC brass if it matters

Thanks
John

scb
09-06-2009, 02:24 PM
I do on mine. A lot of folks don't. Mine is a very early SSK upper. I would suggest a chamber cast.

dave slavage
09-06-2009, 03:12 PM
what i did is get a lee 221 fireball cutter.. connect it too the drill and get that all off then champer size them twice and champer was good to goo

rvpilot76
09-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Here's how I do mine John. I run the 223 brass in the Whisper FL die without the expander, and use my Matco tubing cutter to remove the brass. In this case it leaves about .100" to be trimmed away by my RCBS TrimPro case trimmer. I trim after running the brass in the FL die again, this time with the expander installed. I also have the three-way cutter head for my TrimPro, and this saves a huge amount of time.

HTH,

Kevin

jhrosier
09-06-2009, 11:17 PM
I was wondering
Will I need to ream the neck ?

BTW I will be using LC brass if it matters

Thanks
John

John,

I have formed 30-221 brass from LC brass and none of it required reaming unless the bullet to be used would be over .312".
Some lots have a couple of thousandths of taper to the botttom of the neck, but not enough to cause a problem.
I have formed LC04 & LC06. I also made some brass from RA66 that was just a little thinner than the LC brass.

My LC06 brass is salvaged from fired blanks that I got for $1 per pound.
It looks every bit as good as any other brass that I have used.
I am firing this stuff in a bolt gun with minus headspace so I'm not too worried about the cases stretching and splitting at the cannelure.

I thought that I might need to aneal the necks but the RA brass is on the sixth loading with no split necks so far.

If you are using a Forster case trimmer (doesn't everyone?), you can get a neck reamer to fit it for about $20.

Jack

Johnch
09-07-2009, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the insite

I will have my dies in a few days

John