PDA

View Full Version : I lost it

Underclocked
04-12-2006, 10:19 AM
on shot 4, shot 5 was done in a hurry as the group was blown anyway. :(

100 yards. Had I stopped with the first three that would have been my best ever 3-shot group 100 yard group with a muzzleloader (but not by much). Too much coffee I guess. :groner:

http://www.missouri-whitetails.com/data/500/49HeartbreakGroup.jpg

Bull Shop now has a mold to produce this bullet. Mold was originally designed by Bob Bowers of Virginia using Mtn Molds' online design.

versifier
04-12-2006, 11:07 PM
Cheer up.
First, that's one accurate rifle. :mrgreen:
Second, you never get more than one shot at a deer.[smilie=1:
Third, if you can do it once, you can do it again.:drinks:

Throckmorton
04-12-2006, 11:25 PM
Heck,that group would MAKE MY YEAR!!!
don't be so hard on yourself over that one.!

Underclocked
04-13-2006, 10:31 AM
You can bet I would have stopped with those first three but I was trying to shoot for an internet match that required 5-shot groups. :(

The below groups were shot a few days ago by Chuck Hill of Athens, Ga. using Bull Shop's .451 420 grain conicals in a White 97. He's smart enough to stop at three. He was tweaking his scope and stopped with the center group (0.63" - not bad :) ). Dan makes some dern nice conicals!

http://photos.imageevent.com/chill6x6/2006rangepics/websize/2006rangepics%20233.jpg

Buckshot
04-16-2006, 07:00 AM
.............I think I mentioned a shooting friend who has 5 White Systems muzzle loaders. He had our rangemaster (Kenny) at the time doing his load development. It was a 500gr NEI smooth slug in a sabot over like 130grs of Pyro P. Cloverleafed 3 rounds at 100 yards, and Kenny said, "The heck with this! That's it and no more!" He wasn't a little guy and those loads sure rocked his world.

................Buckshot

Underclocked
04-16-2006, 10:13 PM
Buckshot, WHAT was your friend thinking he was going to hunt? Most White owners shoot slip-fit conicals over charges of 60-90 grains of powder.

Has he still got those Whites? I know some buyers. :mrgreen:

Buckshot
04-17-2006, 07:50 AM
..............He's got money. He goes to Africa every year. He has a trophy room full of mounted trophies, and some are full size in dioramas. I guess it's been 5-6 years ago now but he & his wife went on a trophy elk hunt in New Mexico to the tune of $12,500. He can have pretty much what he wants.

He commissioned someone to build a super light bolt gun and he ended up with a thing that looked like Rem M7 all in titanium and plastic in 7-08 that weighed maybe 4.5 lbs. I don't know what it cost but the kicker was I asked him what he was going to hunt with it. He said he wasn't going to hunt anything with it. He just wanted to see how light one could be built.

He's not snooty about it and is really a pleasant person. I think he thinks everyone hunts like he does.

................Buckshot

Underclocked
04-17-2006, 08:54 AM
Poor guy! :mrgreen:

ourway77
04-30-2006, 06:00 AM
Must be nice, I really feel sorry for that guy. If he builds them for the ---- of it he should send all of us one LOL

Buckshot
04-30-2006, 06:58 AM
Must be nice, I really feel sorry for that guy. If he builds them for the ---- of it he should send all of us one LOL

ourway77, welcome to the board! Always great to welcome another member.

.............Don is the guy's name I was speaking of. His dad owned Fontana Steel and then him and then he sold it and retired. As I said he is really a pleasant person and easy to talk to, yet he has his 'way'. They say all the really rich people are odd. Don is used to having people 'do' for him. He was intrigued by my Whitworth muzzle loader.

First off, he isn't a gun guy. Oh he likes guns and can appreciate them but to him they are a tool. A means to an end and the end is bagging the animal. I do believe he switched to muzzle loaders years ago to put some of the excitement back into the hunt. He's used his White systems extensively in Africa. It's interesting in the photo's that he will bring and show of his recent hunts. Instead of squatting proudly next to the downed animal and holding the rifle that did it in, the rifle MIGHT be seen laying on the ground in the background or you might see a glimpse of the butt and muzzle behind him laying against the animal.

So anyway he was interested in the Whitworth and the fact that it shot long heavy conicals, like 530gr etc. He asked me where I got it and what all was available for it, etc. He gave me his phone number and asked me to call him with the address and phone number so he could get one. This was after I'd told him it all, but he didn't want to mess with looking up their phone number and stuff.

I had also suggested he get the Volunteer version with the Henry rifling, as it was much easier to get shooting well with it's more conventional bore form. He didn't want to hear about that, it had to be a Whitworth.

He then told me he'd ordered one and I said to let me know when he got it and I'd bring a bunch of slugs and stuff for him to try out. During that time he questioned me about the boolits that were swaged or cast with the bore form instead of shooting round conicals. At that time the Polisar brothers hadn't appeared with their swaged hexagonal slugs, and the Kranen mould hadn't been made yet. About the only one was one made by a guy named Larry Romano and it was a tad over $300. I explained it wasn't a really good slug. Due to the 6 flats and their twist, Romano had to blur the design to get it to work in a 2 block mould set.

Heck, what was $300 to him, as he had decided he HAD to have an authentic slug for the rifle, ha! The Romano mould drops a 580gr RNFP, and as I said it is a blurred rendition. There was quite a bit of windage between the slug and the barrel. It wasn't too many weeks later and the Whitworth wasn't mentioned again. There's $1300 in rifle and mould in his safe gathering dust I suppose. I've never seen him out shooting for the pure fun of shooting. As I said, he enlisted others to work up loads for his rifle.

....................Buckshot