PDA

View Full Version : Convertered another...

redneckdan
04-12-2006, 02:12 AM
My room mate recently snagged a decent turkish mauser from a guy who was leaving MTU. they guy wanted 100 and my rommie talked him down to 60. We went to the range tonight with 50 rds of 8mm, 170gr lee RN, 5 grain red dot, with filler. I planned to shoot a few and have some left, i got one clip out of it and my roomie got the rest, it was worth it to see the grin on his face. He's going to the reloading shop tomorrow to get more powder and an M-die.

Buckshot
04-16-2006, 08:21 AM
.............My brother bought a kind of raggedy looking Turk M38 at an AZ Big 5 several years ago. He lives in Sierra Vista, AZ. On the main drag, right outside the main gate of Ft Huachuca is a rather large nice gunshop. They carried surplus ammo in crates there so my brother bought a stack (of crates) :-) . He must have 8K rounds of 8mm.

So on one visit I wanted to go to the range to shoot my Whitworth on their 600 meter range and he took along the Turk and several boxes of surplus on strippers. Oh, we had put a scope on the thing and bent the bolt handle down too. The 600 meter bay is normally used for silhuettes but they don't leave the animals out for public shooters. Instead at each 100 yard interval are 3-4 hanging steel plates of about 1' dimension. Circles, diamonds, and squares.

I'm a sonuvagun if he wasn't ringing the steel out to 400 yards or so, once he found where to hold. Some of the stuff you had to re-cock to get to go off. Kinda interesting to me who well it shot.

....................Buckshot

Jack Stanley
04-16-2006, 11:02 AM
Some surplus is surprisingly accurate . It's always great to find some that works so well .... then you can walk in and buy out all of it that you see [smilie=1: The last year that I competed in high-power I had to use my M1A on a match 'cause the Garand was in the shop . I shot some Australian surplus on the short lines and came in second on the three hundred yard line .

Back when it was available . I bought a bunch of HXP .303 surplus because I'd used some of that brass for loading cast bullets and it worked really well . Now I should have a good supply of brass after pulling all that ammo out of those funny looking cloth belts :roll: :Fire:

Jack

redneckdan
04-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Unfortunately, surplus isn't availble locally. I'm going to check around south east michigan when I go home for break and see what I can scout up.

Jack Stanley
04-16-2006, 08:50 PM
As you drive past Fenton , stop and check the phone book for gun shops . Several years ago there was one called "Guns Galore" that had a great selection of surplus . It wouldn't take ya long to check I bet

Jack

garandsrus
04-16-2006, 09:39 PM
Guns Galore is still in business... Here's their website (http://www.gunsgalore.net/)

John

Buckshot
04-17-2006, 07:04 AM
..............There are many online sources of mil-surp ammo. Ammoman.com is where I got my surplus 8mm and 7.62x54R. Naturally they're in NJ and I'm in California, but the shipping is a flatrate so distance wasn't an issue, but their "Walk in" price was sure nice.

I never really paid any attention to surplus ammo, but a trip to the desert a couple months ago and banging away at stuff WAAAAAAY off, and leaving the brass lay was kind of fun.

...............Buckshot

mroliver77
04-20-2006, 05:59 PM
I have been shooting milsurp 8mm in a vz24 with a dark bore. At 350 yards with the stock v sights I was Shooting an 11" group and not trying very hard. Most of the old Mausers can use a new mainspring and then they fire the surp stuff great. Place called ammunitionstore.com in east Oh has pretty good deal on 8MM. Knob creek had pallets of it. I thought I would wait until I was ready to head to the van before buying. Wrong!. It was gone in a couple hours. J

Uncle Grinch
04-20-2006, 10:30 PM
I have had very good success with some Turk '42 vintage surplus ammo. It shoots very well in my Yugo and allowed me to place in the top three several times.

None of it has mis-fired yet either. I believe the Yugo may have a "fresher" spring than some of the other war time Mausers.