PDA

View Full Version : Seating stems lead boolits

cephas53
09-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Howdy, when seating a round nose boolit for 45 apc the seating stems I have leave a small cut on top of the boolit. Mix is ww. The cut is from the edge of the seating stem. I've flared the mouth of the case as much as I care to for easier seating, and the rounds chamber smoothly once loaded. Any suggestions, tricks or obvious solutions that can be done to eliminate this would be appreciated. Thanks.

GP100man
09-05-2009, 03:20 PM
clean stem . fill with hot glue then make inprint of boolit nose before it hardens, custom fit .
for more permanent use epoxy & put a lite coat of oil on boolit for a release agent.

hope this helps.

HeavyMetal
09-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Or just put a small roll of tin foil up in the stem area and seat a boolit. The foil will take the nose shape exactly. A little boolit lube will get it to stick on the stem.

Calamity Jake
09-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Or remove the stem from the die, install in a drill motor and polish the seating cup edge to remove the sharpness

cephas53
09-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Thanks, removed the stem and polished it up. Used some tin foil with no problems. Next fired up the wifes glue gun and it also worked well. No decent epoxy on hand to try. Loaded a couple boxes up, off to the back 40 to try them out!