PDA

View Full Version : Scoping a VZ-24

Jim
09-05-2009, 08:22 AM
I have a Chek made VZ-24. I understand that B-Square has a scope base for this rifle that does not require D&T. I can't seem to find any info on exactly what has to be done to actually fasten this base to the rifle. Anybody here got any experience with this?
If I order the base and the rings, what do I have to do to the rifle to put the base on?

Nobade
09-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Those mounts are not worth your time. If you absolutely must put a scope on that rifle, get it done right the first time and you'll be much happier. I always recommend leaving military rifles alone though, use it for what it is designed for and get a modern rifle made to take a scope if you want a scope sighted rifle. That always works out better in the end.

redneckdan
09-05-2009, 09:10 AM
I second what he said. But if you really want to mount a scope, I'd go this route.

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/detail.aspx?ID=176

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/detail.aspx?ID=505

Maj Dad
09-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Jim,
The B-Square mount attaches to the rear sight base after removal of the rear sight (thus not permanent). I have a VZ-24 that shot a one-inch group from the bench at 100 yds with a hot handload of 2520 and got the itch to install a scope, but after looking at the B-Square, I decided that if I do mount one, I will go ahead and drill it. The rear receiver ring was ground smooth, and there is some pitting at the front edge, so I wouldn't be desecrating a war trophy (and the stock was a virtual 2x4 that I had to sand heavily to get rid of the splinters and gouges, but which I glass bedded to get a little experience; that's how it shot so well).

Your call - if you try the B-Square and don't like it, no damage done, and if you decide to drill, just remember it's a sow's ear and won't look silky without a lot of money invested, and you'll still have a VZ-24.

Cheers,
Maj Dad

Jim
09-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Sumpter, SC! Man, that's only a coupla' hours north of my ol' stompin' grounds. I hail from Charleston and grew up on James Island. Sure is good to see "SC" sometimes!

Dutchman
09-05-2009, 03:32 PM
S&K long eye relief scope mounts are much better than B-Square.
http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?main.html

There's nothing sub-standard about LER scopes. They work very well on military rifles.

Dutch

bruce drake
09-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Pay the 35-60 dollars the gunsmith charges for the mounts and if you need to bend the bolt also.

I've got a VZ-24 that I rebarreled to 257 Roberts and set up with a good scope that I'd hold over anyone for a great rifle.

Granted I put a new barrel on it, but she kept her 8mm barrel for two years before I rebarreled it because I wanted to try a new caliber.

Bruce

Jim
09-05-2009, 04:47 PM
I just fired off an email to S&K asking about their mounts. If I can do this with comon hand tools, I'll get one for my Mauser and one for my Eddystone. I don't have a problem doing the work myself. I just don't want to find out after the fact that it's a pain in the butt stock.

RoyRogers
09-05-2009, 05:00 PM
+1 on the S&K - no mods needed. You will need a scout type scope though. Some pistol scopes will work but with many the focal distance is too long. An intermediate focal scope like the Burris or Lupy 'scout' scopes work best.

As previously mentioned, the b-square is not as good as the s&k

Jim
09-05-2009, 08:02 PM
+1 on the S&K - no mods needed. You will need a scout type scope though. Some pistol scopes will work but with many the focal distance is too long. An intermediate focal scope like the Burris or Lupy 'scout' scopes work best.

As previously mentioned, the b-square is not as good as the s&k

How come why for I gotta have a scout type scope?

Dutchman
09-05-2009, 08:19 PM
I go into scope eye relief on this page a bit and there's a 2nd page you can open with a listing of cheapass pistol scopes for cheapass shooters. Like me. I don't buy high dollar scopes. I can't afford high dollar scopes.

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/ler.html

Right now I'm using two NcStar pistols scopes but they're really intermediate scopes as the eye relief is only 8.7" to 10.67" for the 2-7x32 handgun scope.

Two other scopes I'm using are a 3x28 Tasco, no longer made, that has longer eye relief so it works much better on the mount I made for the Swedish Mauser as that mount is very low and rather short and does better with a scope further forward.

The other scope is a huge 30mm Tasco Custom Shop 7x32 with target turrets and 1/8" clicks. Its touchy as to eye relief but the mount I just finished for the m/96 Swede is perfect for this scope. See my new note today on this one.

The scope mounts I'm designing and making now are mostly for the NcStar scopes as they allow enough rearward scope positioning so they work real good. I've posted quite a few notes about these in this forum and I'm going another one today on the Swede m/96 mount.

Dutch