PDA

View Full Version : Annoying problem.

2ndAmendmentNut
09-05-2009, 12:07 AM
I have an RCBS carbide 3-die set in 38/357mag/357max. The sizer die is very smooth but for some reason almost every time the decapping pin sticks to the spent primer. Basically the pin pushes out the primer but instead of the primer falling down, it hangs on to the pin. When I back the case out the primer reseats itself all little. Seeing as the primer is left just barely in the primer pocket I can not remove the case from the shell holder. Has anyone else had this sort of problem? Is my decapping pin over sized or under sized? I have tried with the pin sticking out of the die at all possible levels, yet the problem still persists.

mooman76
09-05-2009, 12:12 AM
If you have a spare pin, which you actually should in case you break one, try replacing it. If not cheak it for sharp edges and maybe round it and smooth it good with fine sand paper. Other than that I'm at a loss.

GSM
09-05-2009, 01:38 AM
Yup.

Pin may be sticking in dimple of the spent primer. Using a universal decapper, a quick double stroke seems to work to pop the spent the primer off.

Maybe a larger diameter (within reason) pin?

Pressman
09-05-2009, 02:19 PM
take the pin out, turn it end for end and reinstall. That should do it.
Ken

Rockchucker
09-05-2009, 02:48 PM
I had the same problem, called Dillion up and asked them whats up with that and the nice people told me to sand off the corners of the pin. Fixed that little problem right up.

EMC45
09-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Had the same prob with RCBS decapper. Took it out and buff it with high grit sand paper. Prob solved!

Bailey Boat
09-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Over time the pin will distort and begin sticking. Reface the existing pin or change to a new one and the "problem" will find someplace else to live......