PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Weights

mastercast.com
09-04-2009, 11:30 PM
I had about four hundred pounds of "wheel weights" brought to me the other day, and the man that brought them wanted to trade for bullets.

BIG PROBLEM.....almost 310 pounds were ZINC weights, and a few were steel weights......very few were lead.

BEWARE!

Mike

Dale53
09-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Mike;
I hope you caught this before trading the "gentleman".

Dale53

qajaq59
09-05-2009, 06:58 AM
Besides casting zinc into fishing sinkers and selling them to a store, what can you do with zinc? Will it cast into round balls for buck shot?

gwalchmai
09-05-2009, 09:14 PM
If you can cast zinc into fishing weights, why can't you cast it into bullets?

Dale53
09-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Actually, you CAN cast zinc. However, making bullets with it has some caveats. It is hard as "heck" (somehow that word doesn't have the same zing[smilie=1:) to the point you may break your mould trying to cut the sprue. Further, it is not as dense as lead so has much poorer ballistics (pistol and revolver bullets already have rather poor ballistics so I do not need any WORSE).

The problems that everyone has with zinc is that it contaminates lead (lead with just a small amount of zinc in it will not cast well - period! And yes, I am an authority on that (not by choice). Further, just a bit of lead in a container (as an example your lead pot) will contaminate any alloy put in there later. I DO NOT NEED ANY OF THIS!

fwiw
Dale53

Wayne Smith
09-08-2009, 03:20 PM
If you still have it one of the guys on here shoots cannon and casts cannon balls with it.

geargnasher
09-08-2009, 10:41 PM
If you still have it one of the guys on here shoots cannon and casts cannon balls with it.

That's too cool.

BTW thanks for the correct usage of the word "cannon"!

Gear