PDA

View Full Version : New S&W 686 arrived

lead Foot
09-04-2009, 04:30 PM
My brand new Smith come today. After close inspection I noticed the barrel was full of copper - it took a lot of work to get it out. Is this normal - I know they test fire them but seems a lot of cooper for a test fire. Also so when cleaning I noticed a ring just a head of the throat ?:drinks:
Lead foot;

Jack Stanley
09-05-2009, 09:31 PM
The last Smith and Wesson I bought was a four inch 686 back in the nineties . I don't recall it having a copper fouling problem or the ring at the throat . It did however have a problem of the cylinder trying to fall off when extracting cases . Smith did fix it up for me so perhaps they might have looked at "anything else QC might have missed " .

Jack

RoyRogers
09-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Do you mean a constriction you feel with a patch or a visible ring? It is not unheard of to get a constriction from thread crush when a revolver barrel is screwed in. Some Marlin lever rifles get out the door like that too.

Freebore
09-05-2009, 10:07 PM
This doesn't sound normal. A brand new S&W 686 with heavy copper fouling in the barrel? It don't sound right.

Four Fingers of Death
09-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Unless your dealer gave it a run? We used to have a dealer in town that often took rifles out hunting and then put them on the shelf it was rumoured.

shotman
09-05-2009, 11:44 PM
It is now S&W is useing the no tox ammo and the copper is soft. I got 2 460s and both had heavy copper . clean it out and get some Lyman bore moly and coat it . works good.

lead Foot
09-06-2009, 04:26 PM
I shot it on the weekend in competition. Very happy with the accuracy.( 4 points of a master grade score). Load is 3.5grs AP-50, RCBS-38-148wc. I got all the copper out. Yes when patching I felt a slight dip just a head of the throat but after firing and cleaning it is not so pronounced now. thanks for the interesting reply's.
Lead foot;:drinks::drinks: