PDA

View Full Version : 30 Luger 100 Yards 44man Coming After You

StarMetal
09-04-2009, 03:31 PM
This is target at 100 yards today with my turn of the century commercial 1920 P 08 Luger in 30 Luger caliber. Shooting my TC nose bullet. This is my first serious attempt to see what it does at that distance. I'm coming after your big bore revolver groups 44man. Consider I'm shooting a gun designed 100 years ago and with the original sight. Not bad for an old man with cataracts. You wait Jim till I really fine tune it. I'm much better at 75 yards with shooting nearly a 3/4 inch group. I had a blast shooting that old classic today.

Joe
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg51/starmetal47/Luger.jpg

Dframe
09-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Thats some pretty impressive shooting starmetal.

StarMetal
09-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Thats some pretty impressive shooting starmetal.

Thanks, but I think it's terrible kinda. Should have kept them all in the black, especially that group I had going top left just out of the black.

Joe

9.3X62AL
09-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Not bad at all, Joe.

I put up with a truckload of feedback from the deputies I used to quail hunt with 15-20 years ago. They and I would bring along whatever new Gun Of Conquest had been recently purchased, often a duty or off-duty sidearm of some kind. As a taunt, I brought along a rebuilt Broomhandle Mauser in 30 Mauser on one such late season trip, and the cackles and howls were unending.

"Where's your gas mask?"

"Look, Al's dating the Dragon Lady!"

Chortle, chortle, on and on it went. Previous shooting with the Broomer showed that hits on small game-sized critters were a lot like second marriages--triumphs of hope over experience. At this most timely moment, a jackrabbit offered a shot about 65 yards off the muzzle. I set down the shotgun, and raised the Broomerpistole in the jack's direction. More squawks......

"Dream on!"

"Stop it."

KA-POW!

The jackrabbit seemed to leap straight up, then collapsed to the ground--twitched--and was still.

"OH, NO FARKIN' WAY!"

"Tell me somebody else fired, please!"

Nope. EVERYBODY had to fire the Broomer after that, and although it wasn't the most accurate machine ever forged, the rounds shot VERY flat and got to the target in one quick hurry. The bullets used were Hornady 86 grain RNSP designed for the caliber, and they REALLY did a number on the jacks at 1300 FPS. Subsequent work with Hornady XTPs in the CZ-52 and Ruger P-89X has been a ton of fun, and shown some stellar accuracy with loads the pistols like. In both 30 Luger and 30 Mauser, AA-7 is your friend.

The 30 Luger, 30 Mauser, and 7.62 x 25 Tokarev are real "sleepers" in the hunting fields for small game and varmints. After some 20-odd years of playing around with them, I have come to really enjoy them.

StarMetal
09-04-2009, 08:48 PM
I'm thinking of getting a group buy on my 30 Luger TC nose bullet and having BaBore do the moulds. Any interest out there? Let me know, just pm me.

Joe

44man
09-04-2009, 09:32 PM
You have a way to go yet but it looks like you are having fun!
Can't beat a mold from Babore, his make my junk look sick. :bigsmyl2:

StarMetal
09-04-2009, 10:15 PM
You have a way to go yet but it looks like you are having fun!
Can't beat a mold from Babore, his make my junk look sick. :bigsmyl2:

Jim, wait until I put a red dot scope on it!!! :kidding:
I don't think you see the significance of this
It's like a Model A Ford winning a NASCAR
event.

Joe

dubber123
09-04-2009, 11:41 PM
Joe, I see 8 rounds. What was the 100 yd. spread, just for the record?

StarMetal
09-04-2009, 11:44 PM
I think that black bull is 5 or six inches. I should have put a piece of tape measure on there for the photo. I can hold the sight picture pretty good at 75 yards and the 100 yard group isn't representative of this pictured 100 yard group.

Joe

yondering
09-04-2009, 11:53 PM
What part of the paper were ya amin' at?
:kidding:

This is target at 100 yards today with my turn of the century commercial 1920 P 08 Luger in 30 Luger caliber. Shooting my TC nose bullet. ... I'm much better at 75 yards with shooting nearly a 3/4 inch group.

Really? Same gun, same load, shooting a 3/4" group at 75 yards, and it does that at 100?
I need to see a 75 yard target to believe that. Not too many pistols out there that will do 3/4" at 75 yards.

StarMetal
09-05-2009, 12:04 AM
What part of the paper were ya amin' at?
:kidding:

Really? Same gun, same load, shooting a 3/4" group at 75 yards, and it does that at 100?
I need to see a 75 yard target to believe that. Not too many pistols out there that will do 3/4" at 75 yards.

I was aiming at the top edge of the paper, the white paper the bull is on. Like I said the sights are terrible especially for that distance. I'll have to repeat it with a big sheet of white paper and a sunny day. It was overcast when I shot this one here. I may take my B80 Benelli in 30 Luger out and give it a try, it has fixed target sights...square notch and blade.

Here's the post I did and shot a 75 yard target:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=58774&highlight=Luger

Joe

44man
09-05-2009, 12:08 AM
I got out my 1000 yard pistol for the challenge. You will play heck beating this one because I will cheat and use the scope.
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg3/bfrshooter/Ridiculous.jpg

StarMetal
09-05-2009, 12:16 AM
I got out my 1000 yard pistol for the challenge. You will play heck beating this one because I will cheat and use the scope.
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg3/bfrshooter/Ridiculous.jpg

Aw heck Jim....you win...I concede....no way I can beat a professional rig like that!!!:groner:

Joe

jh45gun
09-05-2009, 02:23 AM
i got out my 1000 yard pistol for the challenge. You will play heck beating this one because i will cheat and use the scope.
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg3/bfrshooter/ridiculous.jpg

lol lol

dubber123
09-05-2009, 07:08 AM
Jim, can you make mounts for a break top Iver Johnson .38? I have an idea,....

44man
09-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Jim, can you make mounts for a break top Iver Johnson .38? I have an idea,....
I need a new bottle of super glue first! [smilie=1:

StarMetal
09-05-2009, 10:50 AM
I need a new bottle of super glue first! [smilie=1:

Jim,

Don't laugh. My Ohio friend, when I lived there, epoxied a mount on a H&R 58 caliber muzzle loader. I forget how many years it's been on there, still is. Another thing, when he offers to let folks shoot it, they usually only will shoot it one time. Kicks pretty hard.

Joe

44man
09-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Look at my avitar, the .475 has the base bedded to the gun and the screws are put in with Accra Glass too. Nothing would keep the screws tight. Loc-Tite gave up the ghost too many times even with Loc-Tite primer.
I made the base for the 45-70 and it holds OK, recoil is less. When I bought it the base was not standard and the gun was not drilled or tapped. I had to drill and tap the .475 too but MR sent me the base free.
Now for the funny! :smile: I drilled and tapped my Ruger Old Army for a Weigand base and mounted a red dot. Deer run like hell when I take it in the woods! :bigsmyl2:

StarMetal
09-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Look at my avitar, the .475 has the base bedded to the gun and the screws are put in with Accra Glass too. Nothing would keep the screws tight. Loc-Tite gave up the ghost too many times even with Loc-Tite primer.
I made the base for the 45-70 and it holds OK, recoil is less. When I bought it the base was not standard and the gun was not drilled or tapped. I had to drill and tap the .475 too but MR sent me the base free.
Now for the funny! :smile: I drilled and tapped my Ruger Old Army for a Weigand base and mounted a red dot. Deer run like hell when I take it in the woods! :bigsmyl2:

That's something about the Ruger Old Army. I will tell you I've shot 40 grs, by volume, of 777 with a 200 SWC 45acp bullet from my Old Army and velocity was like 1240 fps. I'm going to have to chrono that again to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

Joe

44man
09-05-2009, 03:39 PM
That's something about the Ruger Old Army. I will tell you I've shot 40 grs, by volume, of 777 with a 200 SWC 45acp bullet from my Old Army and velocity was like 1240 fps. I'm going to have to chrono that again to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

Joe
I use a round ball and it thumps deer as good or better then a .44 mag. Never stopped a ball in a deer either.