PDA

View Full Version : 20 ba ball loads

skiforce
09-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Well I just popped for a 20 ga loader, a .600 RB mold, Cheddite 2 3/4" hulls and WAA20 wads to start loading 20 ga RB. My choke is .602 on the gun that I am loading for. So I plan on cutting off the wad fingers. I plan on fold crimping them.

This brings me to my question...

How much, if any, with this setup will I need to raise the ball (by using a cork wad) to get a proper crimp? Anyone have any experience with WAA20s and .600 RB?

Thanks,
SKIFORCE

Blammer
09-04-2009, 01:03 PM
I'd say you probably need about 3 of the 1/8 nitro cards.

turbo1889
09-04-2009, 05:12 PM
My favorite way to load RB loads for 20ga. whether full bore or slightly under as in your case is to start by picking a 3"-mag loading for the Lyman 350gr. "overgrown air-gun pellet" wad-slug that uses Fed 20ga. wads out of the Lyman load manual. I then take two (2) of said wads and cut the petals off both of them. First such wad goes in regular way with the gas seal cup down and on the second one I take a pen knife and trim off the plastic nubbin inside the center of the gas seal cup and then load it backwards on top of the previous wad and thus the gas cup faces upwards and becomes a nice rounded cup to hold the ball nice and centered with the bore. Place just a pinch of shot buffer under the ball to keep it from sticking to the wad and further “nest the ball” and then crimp the shell. Works like a charm and produces some nice high velocity RB slug loads.

Blammer
09-04-2009, 07:52 PM
NOW THERE IS AN IDEA I LIKE!

I'm gonna have to try that!

skiforce
09-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Thanks Turbo. I will try that. I am making a reduced load for my 12 y/o son (90 lbs soaking wet) to shoot deer with. Plus I have always wanted to load RB.