PDA

View Full Version : 22 LR Case Extraction

Suo Gan
09-04-2009, 02:49 AM
Some time ago I bought three Romanian 22LR bolt action rifles from an online gun auction codger. 2 of the rifles are fine, but one has a 22LR case with the head sheared off stuck in the throat. What would be a cheap solution to this problem? Boat anchor?

calaloo
09-04-2009, 07:07 AM
Get yourself some Cerrosafe alloy (Brownell's and Midway stocks it). If you are not familar with Cerosafe it is an alloy that melts below the boiling point of water and is used to make chamber casts. It actually shrinks a bit a few minutes after it hardens and is therefore easy to remove from the bore. It does an excellent job of removing stuck shells. Simply stopper the bore in front of the shell, melt the cerosafe, pour it in, let it harden, then tap the plug out with a cleaning rod. Good luck.

Bret4207
09-04-2009, 07:24 AM
Same idea can be done if you have a tap that fits the case. Turn it into the casing very lightly and tap out with a rod. The clean the chamber and determine WHY it did that.

Charlie Sometimes
09-04-2009, 08:23 AM
Yes, ditto on the cerrosafe. It melts around 160 + degrees. After you get it out, see WHY it stuck in the first place. Might be that the chamber is VERY dirty or scratched. Polish it with very fine steel wool (0000) to clean it up, spun on a drill motor, or use a 24 caliber cleaning mop with very fine (1000 grit) grinding compound on it. You don't want to change the dimension, just clean it.

Suo Gan
09-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I will definately clean it well when I get it out. Appreciate it fellas. SG

pietro
09-05-2009, 04:24 AM
Sometimes the case body, now a tube, can be pulled out surprisingly easy from the rear with a little hook, catching the case mouth.

The tool is called a spring hook, and I made mine by grinding a looooong taper into a 1/8" rod about 12" long, heating the thin end cherry, and turning the point into a "J" while still red, with a small pair of needlenose pliers
- but -
the tool can be purchased, or borrowed from an office machine/copy machine repairperson - who should have several spring hooks and spring pushers in their toolkit.

lead-1
09-05-2009, 07:22 AM
Is this more or less what you have with this rifle? If so check the bolt for movement when in the closed position and or headspace, I had a rifle that the bolt could be moved in and out when closed and this was the machanical result. The physical result was on of the scariest moments of my life, my eleven year old touched off a round that sounded like a high power round and the powder managed to get under his safety glasses. He screamed bloody murder, couldn't see for several minutes and his face looked like he had chicken pox.

Oh yeah, I used a "J" hook to get the case out.

Suo Gan
09-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Yeah, Just a brass tube stuck in there now. Gonna try to get it out today, hopefully. Speaking of these Romanian rifles, they were a decent price a few years ago, but now parts and rifles have all but dried up. A clip costs about half what I paid for the entire rifle these days.

Finally a decent day out there, highs in the hi 80's! Good day to work in the shop.

Suo Gan
09-05-2009, 05:52 PM
I first tried to get it out using a long piece of music wire that was hooked on the end. This just eventually just bent the music wire. So I found a spent 22 casing, took it to the shop, found an appropriate sized machine screw, put it in the stuck shell screwed it in slightly, and gingerly tapped it out with a piece of steel rod from an old filing cabinet. I have cleaned and shot it, and it functions fine. Fine gunsmith or no, thats the way I done it.

Newtire
09-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Some time ago I bought three Romanian 22LR bolt action rifles from an online gun auction codger. 2 of the rifles are fine, but one has a 22LR case with the head sheared off stuck in the throat. What would be a cheap solution to this problem? Boat anchor?
You could just sell it to me cheap. Could pick it up next time am over in Turlock. Just a thought..

Suo Gan
09-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Newtire, I got it out...That means I will have to ask at least double what it was worth yesterday. So I'm thinking I pay you $5 and we keep this hush, hush. [smilie=1:

Newtire
09-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Newtire, I got it out...That means I will have to ask at least double what it was worth yesterday. So I'm thinking I pay you $5 and we keep this hush, hush. [smilie=1:

OK SUO it's a deal...Give the $5 to the site!

I have a friend back in Illinois who bought some of those for his kids and he said they were real good shooters.

Wonder what made it stick like that?