PDA

View Full Version : Deals These Days

Suo Gan
09-03-2009, 07:48 PM
My dealer just sold me 2 Savage 110's in 30-06 Springfield (The package model with the cheapo scope and no accu trigger) for $299.99 each. While I was there I picked up a Stevens favorite in 22LR for $75 to round off the deal. Once taxes and all was said and done it was less than $750 for two deer rifles and one 22! That ain't bad is it? I was eyeballing his 336 for $275, but that will have to be next month I guess.

Four Fingers of Death
09-04-2009, 12:42 AM
I saw the Savages at my local shop, but I'm sorta leaning towards the Marlin (nothing much in the two really, probably just the brand names). Hardly worth re-barrelling a rifle these days.

exile
09-04-2009, 06:40 AM
Hope the Savage(s) work out for you. I used to have a left-handed Savage Model 110 in .223 with a heavy barrel. It was an extremely accurate rifle, but had a trigger with a pull like a truck spring. I think they are the most accurate rifle in creation for the price. I would like to have another in .223 with a sporter barrel and the Accu-trigger someday.

exile

Suo Gan
09-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Speaking of the non accu trigger 110, is there a safe way to make that trigger mo betta?

oldfart1956
09-04-2009, 11:33 PM
Fellers speaking of deals it might pay ya'll to keep an eyeball on local auctions for some bargains. Last Sat. I went to one at Kauffmans Station here in Pa. and watched 2 Shiloh Sharps "Old Reliables" sell reasonable. One went for $400. and the second for $575.!! A mint orig. 1859 C.W. rifle sold for $600. Not a repro...an original. Repro Maynard, Gallagher and Smith carbines were running $400 and down. Go to auctionzip.com and type in yer zipcode and get some local info. Audie..the Oldfart.

GSM
09-05-2009, 01:31 AM
Speaking of the non accu trigger 110, is there a safe way to make that trigger mo betta?

Yes.

Look to the net. Somewhere there is a site describing how to make a smaller gauge wire spring that will reduce the trigger weight.

Wolff gunsprings and a pair of needlenose pliers....

Seems to work to reduce the weight, safely.

waksupi
09-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Fellers speaking of deals it might pay ya'll to keep an eyeball on local auctions for some bargains. Last Sat. I went to one at Kauffmans Station here in Pa. and watched 2 Shiloh Sharps "Old Reliables" sell reasonable. One went for $400. and the second for $575.!! A mint orig. 1859 C.W. rifle sold for $600. Not a repro...an original. Repro Maynard, Gallagher and Smith carbines were running $400 and down. Go to auctionzip.com and type in yer zipcode and get some local info. Audie..the Oldfart.

Hi Audie, didn't realize you had signed on here!

rvpilot76
09-05-2009, 04:34 PM

Yep, replace it with a RifleBasix or Sharpshooter Supply trigger. I've got a Riflebasix on my HB Stainless Fluted 308 Model 12, and I love it. It won't be my last.

Kevin

Buckshot
09-06-2009, 03:17 AM
...........Not advised to stone or file on the trigger or sear assemblies as they're sintered steel. Or that's what I'd read someplace. I have a M112 single shot in 223 with the 26" bull barrel that is superbly accurate. I bought it in 1992 after Savage had re-started production. I didn't know anything about sintered steel because I'd read that years later. And it bothered me because I DID stone and then polish the sear surfaces, and messed with the spring.

Here it is, 17 years later and I've shot that rifle more then just a littlle bit. The trigger is still as nice as it ever was. Possibly the sintered steel deal is a more recent addition? But since there ARE nice after market triggers available, that would be the route I'd take.

...........Buckshot

Hardcast416taylor
09-06-2009, 10:49 AM
I`ve got a 110 in .223 for controlling the sabertooth ground hogs in my area. The trigger when I got the heavy barreled model was comparable to dragging a cement block across a dirt road with your trigger finger. I hounded and badgered Timney Trigger monthly about a replacement trigger for it. Finally I was told I was #1 on their list for an aftermarket adjustable trigger for the 110. I finally got it and adjusted it to break at just over 2 lb., by my RCBS trigger pull gauge. I`m not skilled enough to mess with tweaking the springs of a trigger.:brokenimaRobert

Gunfixer
09-06-2009, 01:34 PM
If they are like the older ones, there are 3 screws on the trigger. 1 for sear engagement and 2 for the safety (it is a 3 position but a lot of times it's hard to stop in the middle). I havent had any problems slicking up the triggers, although I found more problems with burrs on the sear. Clean everything up, change the one spring, SAFETY CHECK, and voila. I have got them down as far as 15 oz. (for silouette/varmint) YMMV