PDA

View Full Version : pocket primer tools

jballs918
04-11-2006, 01:32 AM
well guys i have been doing alot of work with 38 shells. the questions i have for you is that i want to uniform my primer pockets. i like the rcbe set up for the trim mate, but the set up is quiet expensive like over 100 dollars for the set up. i would grind it down and chuck it in my drill but will i have enough left so it wont break. i want a tool that i can put in my drill and use it. any ideas guys.

Four Fingers of Death
04-11-2006, 09:08 AM
I tried the Lyman one, slow as all get out, but I then moved on to the RCBS unit, good bit of kit.

If you are shooting precision in rifles I'd try uniforming, but man 38s? haven't you got enoough aggravation in your life. You will never notice the difference in a revolver.

Dale53
04-11-2006, 11:39 AM
Before I had a chance to read the response from "4fingermick" I had the exact same thought. It is pretty much a waste of time doing bench rest tricks with a gun and cartridge combination that is expected to do "four minute work". Save that for the 1/2 minute work.

If you must do it, you can find many rather inexpensive (but good) tools that you can chuck up in your drill press and operate "free hand". I have done hundreds of big bore cases this way with perfect success.

I don't have a definite reference but you might look at "Sinclair International" on Google. They are THE place to go for bench rest equipment and not all of it is hyper expensive. Good folks, too.

Dale53

Shepherd2
04-11-2006, 11:51 AM
www.sinclairintl.com Great people to deal with.

versifier
04-11-2006, 01:27 PM
I have tried it with .308 and .22-250 cases with proven loads and match bullets. I didn't notice any difference at all, even at longer ranges. It's one of those techniques, like neck turning, flash hole deburring, etc., that may shave hundredths of an inch off of your benchrest groups with a real br rifle and a super tight match chamber, but doesn't make much of any difference to the rest of us in the real world. With a lot of specific testing, I have also not found any real advantage to cleaning the primer pockets either, and I was measuring group sizes at 200 & 300 yds with the .22-250 using match bullets. I think it would be a waste of time and money. In a handgun, with boolits, I would spend the time on more casting and the money on a new mould or some powder & gas checks.

Bucks Owin
04-11-2006, 01:31 PM
Forster has a nice looking unit (and a free catalog from their website)....

It can be "drill powered" if you wish or hand cranked....

FWIW,

Dennis

jballs918
04-11-2006, 04:48 PM
well i see that a over welming accout of you think it would be a waste ok i can deal with that. thansk all for the info

shooter2
04-12-2006, 12:02 AM
It's pretty hard to beat the tools from Sinclair. I use the uniformer instead of a PP cleaning tool. Chuck it up in your power screwdriver and put a towel in your lap to catch the shavings and do it while you watch TV. You will get a much better feel when you seat primers. FWIW...