PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify these ingots?

sleeper1428
09-03-2009, 03:57 PM
A friend gave me half a 5 gal bucket of old scrap lead including battery terminals, what appears to be roofing lead, large homemade sinkers that appear to be WW melted and poured into soup cans, etc, etc, and in addition, there were several ingots that had no identification whatsoever. They appear to have been commercially poured but have no logo or other info anywhere on their surface. They are about 5.5" long by 1.75" wide by 1" thick and they register a BH of 9 on my Cabine Tree Lead Tester. That's about what one would expect from 30:1 but I just have a feeling that they are some other alloy, perhaps a solder (50/50?) or something like that. I've included a photo (the arrows point to the indentations where I tested the BH multiple times with the Cabine Tree tester) and I do hope someone recognizes them and can give me an idea as to their composition so I can use them appropriately in making up my casting alloy.

sleeper1428

qajaq59
09-03-2009, 06:35 PM
I can't ID them for you but I'll tell you what I did with some unknown ones that I had. I took one, melted it in a small pot and cast a few bullets with a ladle. It filled the mold perfect so I figure there is no zinc in it, and the hardness I can correct with a little lino mix in.
Hope it helps