PDA

View Full Version : Using heat gun on lubesizer?

hseaver
09-03-2009, 01:02 PM
I don't have a heater for my ancient old Ideal #45 lubesizer, and I'm wondering about using my heat gun on it. I've got a really nice digital heat gun that I can program for any temp -- so what temp should I use. I just ordered some of the WhiteLabel Carnauba Red. The heat gun goes from 120F-1150F in 10 degree increments. What would be the best temp to use?

twotoescharlie
09-03-2009, 01:06 PM
an old blow drier(hair) will do just as well.

TTC

Echo
09-03-2009, 01:12 PM
Or a drop light...

Green Frog
09-03-2009, 01:29 PM
:?:What about getting a nearly complete tube of old black Ideal lube out of my #1 L-sizer? How do I safely heat it enough to remove the lube w/o messing up that nice nickel plating on the reservoir tube? :?:

Froggie

Calamity Jake
09-03-2009, 01:51 PM
I don't have a heater for my ancient old Ideal #45 lubesizer, and I'm wondering about using my heat gun on it. I've got a really nice digital heat gun that I can program for any temp -- so what temp should I use. I just ordered some of the WhiteLabel Carnauba Red. The heat gun goes from 120F-1150F in 10 degree increments. What would be the best temp to use?

You will have to sperment a little to see what works for you but I would think 120° to 140° would be a place to start.
Apply the heat long enough to get the luber body warm to the touch, you don't want to melt the lube just soften it so it will flow.

Calamity Jake
09-03-2009, 02:00 PM
:?:What about getting a nearly complete tube of old black Ideal lube out of my #1 L-sizer? How do I safely heat it enough to remove the lube w/o messing up that nice nickel plating on the reservoir tube? :?:

Froggie

First, take the die out and crank down on the lube piston until at the bottom of its stroke catching the old lube in/on something, after that take the rod-piston assembly out and put the LS and all in HOT water.
In a litte while the lube will melt and float to the top where it can be skimmed off with a rag/paper towel or just let the water cool to room temp, the lube will get hard again and can be removed in one piece.

Dale53
09-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Froggie;
Just the other day, I removed a nearly full reservoir of Emmert's from my Lyman 450. After removing the die and running all of the lube possible from the luber by using the piston and screw (as if you were lubing a bullet) just like Calamity Jake stated, then I used my Heat Gun to heat the body hot enough to melt the lube. I did NOT try to heat it red hot - just hot enough to do the job after removing the piston. I caught the lube in a box lined with aluminum foil. Then, I set the luber body aside long enough to cool and proceeded to refill and lube bullets with my chosen lubricant. If you keep the heat within reasonable limits, you will not hurt the nickel plate at all.

Dale53

dromia
09-03-2009, 04:54 PM
For getting boolit lube to flow like Lars Carnauba Red, less is more.

A clapped out hair drier is good, all you need to do is take the "chill" of the lube to get it to flow.

Too much and it will run and leak.

A heat gun is great for emptying lubesizers but in my experience are a tad to hot for general lubsizing use.

I have a heater base on my Carnauba Red Lubsizer and only put it on enough to gently warm the rear of my sizer, once the lube is moving I turn it off.

Obviously ambient temperature is relevant here, as all things are relative.

Too much heat and the boolits start sticking in the die as it expands and the lube runs and looses its lubricity.

tenexx
09-03-2009, 06:00 PM
I bought a small crock pot from Walmart that was designed to keep dips warm.

I pulled the unit apart and formed the heating strip around the base of the lubrisizer using a hide mallet. Some spare plastic electrical conduit and paint on electrical tape tidied the cable up.

Total cost $11 Canadian. No further problems with Lars Carnuba Red.

Turn the heater on for a couple of minutes before sizing and you are good to go.

GP100man
09-03-2009, 06:46 PM
I use a heat lamp in a clamp on lite , vary distance to control heat.

i just remove the die & pressure screw & let the heat lamp do the rest , put summtin under it to catch lube .

Baron von Trollwhack
09-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Here in NC, I don't need to heat my lyman up much, so I just play a regular propane torch on it, without scorching anything. As soon as the casting warms to the touch the heat transfers and holds long enough to size and lube a hundred or so. BvT

09-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Low-wattage lamp clamped to the bench in close proximity to the press, wraped with aluminum foil to retain heat and reduce warm-up time.

Used a propane torch, too, when in a hurray, without damage to the paint.

KYCaster
09-03-2009, 09:56 PM

I think you'll find 120 deg. a bit too much for Lar's CR. 100 to 105 should be about right, but that's just a guess, I never tried to measure it. A hair drier aimed at the base of the sizer for five min. will keep you lubing for half an hour or so....repeat as necessary.

Jerry

geargnasher
09-03-2009, 10:31 PM
Here in NC, I don't need to heat my lyman up much, so I just play a regular propane torch on it, without scorching anything. As soon as the casting warms to the touch the heat transfers and holds long enough to size and lube a hundred or so. BvT

+1 above 65*. For lower temps I use an El Cheapo aluminum bell clamp-on spot lamp with a 100w bulb in it aimed at the base.

IIRC I think it was R5R who posted a couple of months ago about repairing his wife's/daughter's "broken" hair dryers to use for lube heaters, I don't remember exactly what he said went wrong with most of them but it was an easy fix.

Gear

Oldtimer
09-04-2009, 03:53 PM
I got a small box type ceramic heater that has a little fan in it to use on my 450. Put it on low, and vary the distance to the sizer to get the heat you want. Dont have to hold it. Works great. Bob

Gee_Wizz01
09-04-2009, 07:37 PM
When I lived in Virginia I used a clamp on light with a 100 watt bulb pointed at the casting and it worked well, I got distracted one night and left it unattended on a very cold night (about 15*F) and it got way to hot and lube dribbled out of it on the floor of my shed. I modded the set up with a dimmer and it worked very well. I have also used hair dryers and they also worked well. The best setup was mounting the sizer on a 1/4" sheet of aluminum that was large enough to place an old clothes Iron on. You can control the temp very well with the Irons thermostat.

G