PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Suggest a Good Homemade Wine Book?

Suo Gan
09-03-2009, 01:17 AM
Was reading the Honey Meade post, and got me to thinking. I have never made homemade wine, just sugar alchohol some time back. Can anyone suggest a good starting point for this venture? I have access to grapes, prunes, peaches, nectarines, and blackberries.

Would 1 gallon cheap wine bottles be worth collecting for this?

leadeye
09-03-2009, 09:36 AM
Jack Keller's website will tell you just about everything you want to know, I got started there. I use fruit when it is available and frozen juice concentrate from the store when it is not. Save your glass gallon jugs.

David Caldwell
09-03-2009, 05:54 PM
This is a great hobby. Right up there with casting and shooting.

Home Winemaking Step by Step - Iverson
Grapes into Wine - Wagner
From Vines to Wine - Cox

The one gallon jugs are good for bottling your finished product.. It's much easier and more efficient to do your primary fermentation in a five gallon plastic bucket and the secondary fermentation in a five gallon glass bottle.

Forget the nectarines and prunes. Eat the peaches fresh and chase 'em with a shot of vodka - more satisfying and tasty than fermenting them. Blackberries make decent sweet wine.

Your real magic will come from the vinifera grapes for which your state is so famous. 90% of your success will come from your starting material.

The aforementioned books are available in paperback for cheaps, but you'll find them to be priceless.

dac

Four Fingers of Death
09-04-2009, 01:09 AM
. Blackberries make decent sweet wine: They also make awesome jam and pies, especially wit a sugar covered hard pie crust!!! Yummo. Febuary is prime blackberry time around my way, can't wait.

Suo Gan
09-04-2009, 02:54 AM
Thanks for the suggestions gents, I am going to Amazon right now.

David Caldwell
09-26-2009, 11:35 PM
Suo Gan,

Did you get your wine books? You like?