PDA

View Full Version : Dove's On!

Suo Gan
09-03-2009, 01:08 AM
Made this tonight after my dove fry last year left more to be desired, and it turned out pretty good:

20 (or so) breasted dove
1/2 pound mushrooms sliced
1 large onion chopped fine
2 celery sticks chopped fine
4 cups water
1 cup red wine
1 heaping tablespoon corn starch
1 tablespoon sugar
seasoning salt to taste
pepper to taste

Take breasted dove and soak in clean cold water for 1 hour, repeat. Let soak in milk overnight while being refridgerated. Wash them again in the morning until water runs fairly clear. Start entire makings in a saucepot for one hour over medium heat with the lid on. Stir occasionally to make sure that nothing is being burned. Remove lid and simmer for remainder (until dove is tender) should be another hour. Serve over rice. Will feed 3-4.

Any other dove recipes are welcome as the season is just started.

Heres one from my friend Jack:

Preheat oven to 350. Put dove breasts on a wood shingle for one hour, remove let cool for five minutes, throw the dove away and eat the shingle...

fourarmed
09-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Fillet the meat off the breastbone with an ordinary fillet knife. Each dove will make two fillets. Mix a half cup or so of flour with garlic powder, red pepper, and whatever else sounds good - I like a little curry powder. With the edge of a saucer, pound the fillets in the seasoned four until flat. Fry in your favorite shortening just until light brown.

I predict you'll never eat them any other way after trying this recipe.

Wayne Dobbs
09-03-2009, 04:04 PM
This is an old classic here in Texas:

1. Clean, trim and defeather dove breasts
2. Soak in your choice of milk, beer, red wine or Coke overnight in refrigerator.
3. Seed and julienne jalapeno peppers into 1/2" wide strips (enough for one strip per breast).
4. Place strip of jalapeno pepper on back side of breast, wrap with a strip of bacon and toothpick in place to secure bacon.
5. Optional: dip in BBQ sauce of your choice
6. Cook over medium coals until bacon is crisp.
7. Pig out!

I usually do half the breasts with BBQ sauce and half without. It's a killer tasting recipe and very easy for "non cooks" like me!

Suo Gan
09-04-2009, 03:00 AM
Fourarmed will try that one!
Wayne, that one sounds great too. But I guess I am too pedestrian to know what the cooking term "julienne" means. That will require a google I suppose.
The mushroom dish turned out so good that I am actually going out for a dove sequel. But, like they say "The first time you go out for dove it is for the fun of it, the second time it is for revenge."

fourarmed
09-04-2009, 11:49 AM
A guy goes into a sporting goods store and asks where he can hunt doves. Clerk says that lots of people hunt the gravel pit east of town. They guy buys two boxes of shells and leaves. Three hours later he is back, asks "Say, what is the limit on doves, anyway?" Clerk says "15." The guy says "OK, gimme 13 more boxes of those shells."

legend
09-04-2009, 09:43 PM
I was stationed in texas,Del rio,in 1970 at laughlin airforce base.
i was on the base skeet team and skeet was no problem for me...

A friend asked me to hunt doves with him down at eagle pass,we did.
I talked to my father in vermont that night and relayed the story to him: i shot eight with eight shots,missed my nineth and caught a double crossing on my tenth shot.so limit was 10 doves and thats what i got,
my dad had hunted doves in south america during world war two,and said it was just beginers luck...i said nah dad i shoot on the base skeet team..

the next day we went again,and, i hit two with two boxes of shells!

Like normal, dad was right.

Suo Gan
09-05-2009, 02:34 AM
Why is Dad always right? ;-)

Boz330
09-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Couldn't resist this story. Back in the 1970s this preacher got a friend of mine and I on a local farm to hunt. When we were finished hunting he invited us in for coffee. Of course the conversation went to what we had taken which was very little. He said a guy stopped in several weeks earlier and asked to hunt quail and he said go ahead. Not too much later the guy stopped back and thanked him for letting him hunt. He asked him if he had already gotten his limit and the guy opened his game bag and said yes just look. The farmer said he had a whole bag full of Meadow Larks.

Bob

Wayne Dobbs
09-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Suo Gan,

Sorry for the delayed reply! "Julienne" means to cut a veggie into narrow strips. What does Suo Gan mean? Interesting handle...

Gee_Wizz01
09-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Couldn't resist this story. Back in the 1970s this preacher got a friend of mine and I on a local farm to hunt. When we were finished hunting he invited us in for coffee. Of course the conversation went to what we had taken which was very little. He said a guy stopped in several weeks earlier and asked to hunt quail and he said go ahead. Not too much later the guy stopped back and thanked him for letting him hunt. He asked him if he had already gotten his limit and the guy opened his game bag and said yes just look. The farmer said he had a whole bag full of Meadow Larks.

Bob
My Dad said that back in the depression he and his family ate Meadow Larks, he said the weren't too bad and they were much better than going hungry.

G