PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Ruger

wallenba
09-03-2009, 06:26 PM
Sorry about this guys, the server crashed or something last night before I could post.
Basically I was a little peeved that Ruger did not clean my new Blackhawk before sending it to the dealer. I understand the need to test fire them but jeez....Would Bill have let this happen if he were alive?

StarMetal
09-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Sorry about this guys, the server crashed or something last night before I could post.
Basically I was a little peeved that Ruger did not clean my new Blackhawk before sending it to the dealer. I understand the need to test fire them but jeez....Would Bill have let this happen if he were alive?

I wouldn't care how dirty it came back as long as they rectified the problems and in a speedy time....and for a reasonable fee if not under warranty. The longer they have the gun doing something to it, in this case cleaning it, the more it costs them time and money. Be happy your gun is back and supposedly fixed.

Joe

wallenba
09-03-2009, 06:51 PM
I wouldn't care how dirty it came back as long as they rectified the problems and in a speedy time....and for a reasonable fee if not under warranty. The longer they have the gun doing something to it, in this case cleaning it, the more it costs them time and money. Be happy your gun is back and supposedly fixed.

Joe
Joe, it was'nt sent in, it was a new gun!:!:

targetshootr
09-03-2009, 07:17 PM
How does it shoot? That's much more important.

wallenba
09-03-2009, 07:28 PM
How does it shoot? That's much more important.

Started with some J-words I had, 250 Speer #4484 in front of 7.8g Unique. Put them left high and about 3-4 inches apart at 20 yards. Later got the sights in the ball park and down to about 2 inch groups. I'll do better than that with my Vaquero's, but it was first day, and not my best loads. Charges in those were thrown from my Little Dandy, believe it or not, it's not as consistant as my Lee PPM.

9.3X62AL
09-03-2009, 07:41 PM
A "dirty from firing" new gun seems kinda chintzy, but I suppose they are busy. And cheap.

Of course, it won't stay clean for long once it arrives at my house. I normally clean a new gun pretty thoroughly, establish some lubrication on moving parts, and head to the range or desert.

Then clean.

Repeat, as needed.

Still chintzy, though.

wallenba
09-03-2009, 07:43 PM
A "dirty from firing" new gun seems kinda chintzy, but I suppose they are busy. And cheap.

Of course, it won't stay clean for long once it arrives at my house. I normally clean a new gun pretty thoroughly, establish some lubrication on moving parts, and head to the range or desert.

Then clean.

Repeat, as needed.

Still chintzy, though.

After I lit off that Unique, it was pristine in comparison:-D

jack19512
09-03-2009, 08:04 PM
I normally clean a new gun pretty thoroughly

I have always cleaned and oiled a new gun before firing, for me it's just accepted practice. I guess to me it's just a little trivial to complain about something like this when there are so many more important things to worry about.

wallenba
09-03-2009, 08:19 PM
I have always cleaned and oiled a new gun before firing, for me it's just accepted practice. I guess to me it's just a little trivial to complain about something like this when there are so many more important things to worry about.

Sure it's trivial, thats the point, how much effort on their part would it be. Probably should have put this in "Off Topic", we would not tolerate this when we buy a car or anything else. The more important stuff well... that's another forum too.

jack19512
09-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Don't take it personal. Having had to send several revolvers back to Ruger for warranty work and the last one having been gone for almost 3 months believe me when I say, or at least in my opinion it's trivial to complain about a little powder residue in the barrel. At least it shows me that they test fired the gun before sending it out. I hope that is what it means anyway. :|

beagle
09-03-2009, 08:46 PM
If you ever send one back to Colt, they insist on cleaning it and charging for it....then bring it back to factory specs and then address the problem you sent it in for. Ruger sounds like they do you all right.

I sent a 1957 4" Python back to Colt for rebluing. Darn thing had the smoothest 2 1/2 pound pull on it you ever saw.

They held up the reblue so I could sign a letter of release on the trigger pull. Darn lawyers./beagle

wallenba
09-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Don't take it personal. Having had to send several revolvers back to Ruger for warranty work and the last one having been gone for almost 3 months believe me when I say, or at least in my opinion it's trivial to complain about a little powder residue in the barrel. At least it shows me that they test fired the gun before sending it out. I hope that is what it means anyway. :|

No, you were right, it is trivial under this topic. This is just where I happened to be when the steam from it blew. I did'nt stop to check where I was.

S.R.Custom
09-04-2009, 01:54 AM

Ruger's not the only one. The last new S&W I bought --a model 29-- had residue from the test firing. Talk about cheap--- they'd only fired one from every other hole...

August
09-04-2009, 02:07 AM
It took me over a dozen patches to clean the bore of a new National Match Upper I received from Rock River recently. It was really dirty in there. Every new gun I've ever purchased has had the residue of test firing left in it -- except for my USFA SAs.

Hardcast416taylor
09-04-2009, 02:42 AM
I can remember in our shop that Remington firearms were dirty in the bore from test firing when we got them in, other makers were clean. This was from the 50`s up till we closed in the 80`s.Robert