PDA

View Full Version : Another Newbie Question

BSkerj
09-02-2009, 07:54 PM
I am really new to casting. I was using a iron pot for melting lead. Today I was in a pawn shop and found a older Lyman bottom pour furnace. I plugged it in and melted a couple of ingots and went to use the bottom pour but I could not get any lead to come out of the bottom after lifting handle. How do I go about clearing the "spout" so it will pour. I don't want to ruin anything. Other than this little problem the furnace works great. I got it for 30.00. Thanks for any advice !

hiram
09-02-2009, 07:56 PM
I clear my lee pot when it clogs with a propane torch. Heat the tip and the clog melts. I don't know the specifics of your pot so look at the spout before applying heat to see if any wiring could be damaged.

Shiloh
09-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Welcome to the forum.

After clearing the spout, poke around with a stiff piece of wire. If it has been idle or stored in a damp environment, could be rust or corrosion plugging it.

SHiloh

runfiverun
09-03-2009, 11:38 AM
i would empty it back out and clean it real well...
first though a paper clip up the spout with a pair of needlenose or vise grip pliers and something to catch any lead that comes out.
you can heat the paperclip with a torch, if this don't woork someone may have plugged it for ladeling use only.
or it may simply not get hot enough to heat the spout sufficiently.
my first lee pot would only heat upto 600* and barely dribble lead i had to clean the contacts and adjust them.

BSkerj
09-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Run,
I was able to unblock it by taking a small drillbit and drilling up through the hole. Looked like Shiloh was right about having rust blocking it. It pours like a champ now ! Thanks for the reply.
I see that you live in Soda. What is the name of the gunshop you have located by the RxR tracks North of downtown? I was able to purchase a couple of Hornaday dies from him and wanted to see if he had any primers.

Thanks!

runfiverun
09-06-2009, 11:51 AM
arnell don't got any primers...
it is soda shooting sports.
sams there in pokey has some but he thinks they are gold plated.
he moved into old town and opened the indoor range,i already have dibs on the scrap..
he says he is going to smelt it himself and sell the scrap lead and jackets...
i give him about two tries at that and then i can pick the range scrap up from him:lol:
especially once he is informed of the low value of lead that needs stuff to hardn it.

canebreaker
09-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Great find on the Lyman furnace.
Not all of my muffin ingots are super clean.
After lead is melted, I scrape the bottom and sides with a spoon,
since not all the trash floats. Then skim off trash.
Keep it clean.
After I finish a pouring session, I'll turn the pot over and bounce it
on a hard surface a few times to remove any trash left behind.
While it's still hot.