PDA

View Full Version : Turk again

hydraulic
04-10-2006, 05:46 PM
I have a model 38, dated 1940. All the Turks I've seen have had straight bolt handles, but mine has the curved handle like a '98. Anyone else have one of these, and any idea how it got this way? I bought a case of that cheap Turk 8mm, a couple of years ago, 150 gr. copper bullet, 1949, and it just about tears my head off . Too many years of cast bullet shooting, probably. Anyway, I pulled the bullets on 5 rds and weighed the powder and it held 48 grs. I reduced it by 5 grs., still kicked, went down another 3 to 40 grs., which feels much better so I chronographed 5 rds and got 2681, 2681, 2841, 2786, 2699, which averages out at 2794, just about the same as '06 150 gr lake city. I should have run some of the factory rds. across the screen, but it has to be above 3000 fps. Why would the turks subject their men to this sort of punishment if they wanted to make marksmen out of them? I have an 8MM mold and have shot a few rds. with 10 grs. of Unique. I like that better, but I have to get rid of that turk army stuff.

Buckshot
04-10-2006, 08:51 PM
...............The Turks made some conversions called a M38/46, which in appearance is similar to a K98. It has a turned down bolt and the knob is flattened on the side facing the stock.

http://www.fototime.com/4081B75BF8E1589/standard.jpg

Second from the front is a M38/46.

I bought a couple bandoliers of that Turk stuff and you're right, it is hot. I've had people tell me it was machinegun ammo. If that was so, why was it packed in bandolier on strippers? Maybe re-packs? Possibly also just poor storage or poor powder to begin with. I know that Urny unloads the stuff and scavanges the powder and bullets.

In that photo at the top os a Turkish reworked German M88/05/14 commission. I suppose it would be called a M88/05/14/35? The 35 from 1935 when they began refurbishing them. It is one sweet shooting rifle, I kid you not. It has a nice trigger, super bore and excellent wood. One of my favorite shooters. I'd hate to have to carry it around much because the thing weighs a ton.

................Buckshot