PDA

View Full Version : 250 Gr Bowling Pin Loads for the .45acp

robertbank
09-02-2009, 01:21 PM
OK folks I need some help. I have a bowling pin match coming up and I need your help. I have the following powders at my disposal.

Bullseye
Unique
Win 231
Titegroup
800X
HS 6

I need a decent Bowling pin load using a 250 gr lead bullet for pin shooting. I know my Norinco Custom will run the bullets.

Your suggestions would be surely appreciated.

Take Care

Bob

S.R.Custom
09-02-2009, 03:51 PM
I used to do pins for a number of years, and of the powders you list, here's what I've used and/or learned:

A good pin load is both accurate and fast. All of the following loads are max loadings, so work up to them. Assumes a good, stout gun, too; no rattly old GI guns from "before the war."

Bullseye: too fast for decent velocity and accuracy.
Unique: 6.4 to 6.8 grs. Fairly accurate and speedy.
231: 6.0 grs-- 2nd most favorite pin powder and charge for lead bullets in this caliber. Fast & accurate.

I've never used the other three.

Of all the experimentation I've done over the years with the .45 and bowling pins, 7.5 grs of Herco under a 250 gr boolit takes the prize. Very good accuracy, and the best velocity. I won many matches with that, and the only gun I've ever shot that was any faster than my comped .45 Springfield Defender with these loads was my comped longslide Springfield Omega in 10mm Auto.

robertbank
09-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Hi

Thanks for the reply. Exactly what I was looking for. I am going to run your Win 231 load. Any problem using a 16# recoil spring or do I have to spring heavier?

Take Care

Bob

S.R.Custom
09-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks for bringing that up, as I should have mentioned something else, too...

For these loads, an 18# spring would be better, but the standard 16# spring will be fine for limited use. I use the 16# spring myself, but I also run a nylon buffer. In fact, I always run a nylon buffer. It doesn't compromise reliability, brass doesn't get thrown as far, and as far as insurance goes, it's pretty cheap.

runfiverun
09-02-2009, 06:49 PM
robert i ain't doubting mikes word here ,but i think i would start at about 6 grs of unique and move on up.
i have one of the norinco's too, and it seems to prefer a bit slower moving boolit.

Shiloh
09-02-2009, 09:28 PM
[QUOTE=SuperMag;654007]Thanks for bringing that up, as I should have mentioned something else, too...

For these loads, an 18# spring would be better, but the standard 16# spring will be fine for limited use. I use the 16# spring myself, but I also run a nylon buffer. In fact, I always run a nylon buffer. It doesn't compromise reliability, brass doesn't get thrown as far, and as far as insurance goes, it's pretty cheap.[/QUOTE

I wouldn't hesitate to put a heavier spring in first. That is a heavy boolit with heavy battering. Like you, I run an Ed Brown nylon buffer.

SHiloh

35remington
09-03-2009, 08:55 PM
rb, I'd be sure to specify just which 250 grain bullet and how deeply it's seated, as some of the listed loads here are way too heavy for a 250 SWC that seats to 1.2 inches or under, as many do.

No aspersions on SM's suggestions, but 7.5 Herco and the 250's I have is way, way too heavy of a load. I'd start at 5.0 to 5.5 Unique or the same with Herco and work up. Using a mere 4.9 grains Herco and some of my 255's like the 252 grain Lee SWC or their 255 RF, velocities were in the 725 fps range, so you can imagine what 60 percent more powder than that will do.

FWIW, 5.8 grains Herco and a 230 lead roundnose loaded to 1.265" gets around 810 fps in my five inch 1911's. Imagine what a heavier, deeper seated bullet over 1.7 grains (30 percent) more powder would do, pressure and velocitywise.

IMO you certainly should not be exceeding the charges normally used with a 230 grain bullet, and there is very good reason to be sure that you are using somewhat to significantly less to compensated for the possible considerably reduced case volume and ten percent heavier weight.

But then I suspect you already know this. Heavier bullets do require more than proportionate decreases in powder weight used.

A gunsmith I know uses 7.5 Unique and a 250 grain bullet to seat the lugs on 1911 barrels during fitting to obtain full engagement, and uses very few shots to do so and definitely no more. Herco is only a bare tick slower than Unique, and I'd be afraid this load would be a bit much for extended use.

The Virginian
09-18-2009, 12:32 AM
I have had good luck with 3.8-4.1 grains of Clays, not Universal Clays and it pushes a 250 grain bullet out of my 1911s to 715-730 fps-not a barn burner load, but with a 250-255 lead bullet there is no need.