PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for PB .30 rifle mold?

selmerfan
09-02-2009, 12:13 PM
I enjoy shooting my .30-06 with mild cast loads. I'm currently casting a 150 gr. RCBS semi-pointed gas check bullet and putting 14 gr. of Unique under it. It's running right around 1700 fps from my M70 Classic SS FWT. I'd like to have a little heavier bullet that doesn't have a gas-check to run at these moderate velocities as well. Any good and affordable suggestions? Or is the best route just to get one of Lee's .30 molds and have Buckshot take out the GC shank?
Selmerfan

longbow
09-02-2009, 08:07 PM
I was thinking the same thing but for .303.

There is discussion going on about a 314299 group buy and I suggested a plain base version but it wasn't well received.

I tend towards plain and simple and a gas check is just another bit to buy and handle. Not denying they have their advantages but moderate loads under a plain base can work well too. Not to mention that I can't buy much of anything for reloading where I live so it is also another complication.

I figured a 200 to 220 gr. PB with moderate load would hold onto velocity well if it was designed with high BC like the 314299.

What I want would be too fat for your .30-06 though.

Too bad, we could have a two person group buy!

Longbow