PDA

View Full Version : Multi pill loads?

750k2
09-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Well it looks like I might get to try this after all.
There is a better group going for a 360-75 WC again and am looking
for any starting info on a 3 pill load in my 357.
This venture is going to take 3 yrs to come into play on Mr. Rabbit but
the thought of fresh snow and one of my DW's with a 4"er just wont
let go.
Was thinkin around 750fps or so?????

It's a current Group Buy if anybody else would like to join in

Glen
09-02-2009, 11:17 AM
H&G made such a mould years ago. They are called stacked wadcutters. Dean Grennell wrote them up in one of the annuals (Gun Digest? Handloader's Diget?) some time ago. I'll dig around and see if I can find that article.

750k2
09-02-2009, 11:28 AM
I had the same article but I tossed a boat load of old mags and info some yrs ago.
G&A, Shootingtimes,NRA ,Annuals etc.... Dumbest thing I ever did well maybe??
I had shelves and shelves full:cry:

Thank you

Bret4207
09-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Why would you load pills in a cartridge case? Pills can be expensive. Don't they shatter when they hit something?

Sorry, "pills" is one of those terms that just irks me.......

BruceB
09-02-2009, 01:30 PM
"Sorry, "pills" is one of those terms that just irks me......."

Me too, Bret. Another one is calling a "rifle" a "STICK"!!! Same number of letters, just too damned "cool" to respect a fine instrument by calling it by its proper name. Or, calling a shotgun a "shotty", a Springfield a "springer", etc etc.

Sometimes the motivations of people completely escape my understanding. Such abuses of the terminology accomplish two things:

1. They annoy the daylights out of me, and

2. They GREATLY REDUCE the likelihood that I will either read the posting or respond to it.

Call them bullets, boolits, wadcutters, projectiles or whatever correct term is desired. Despite the protests of those who use inanities such as "pill", style DOES COUNT if the post is intended to be read.

750k2
09-02-2009, 01:51 PM
And your load is?

Now I gotsta go bust some caps:holysheep

mike in co
09-02-2009, 02:28 PM
dang...bruce, bret and i agree......

no such thing as a pill in shooting, unless maybe your significant other is whinning at you...then she is a pill.

no such thing as a head, nor a bullet head in shooting...

the thing that is sent down range is a BOOLIT OR A BULLET.....PERIOD.

YOU SHOOTING THESE IN A BLACK POWDER GUN ??cause they are the only ones that use "caps"....everyone else uses primers...or flint........

Freightman
09-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Pain or Blood Pressure?

750k2
09-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Well I tried to edit the Title of the post but can't so your just gonna have to live with it.
Now unless you have any pertinent info on the question that was asked please keep
your nose in you own business.

I also use the word ain't and sometimes wear a hat at the table.
Now go hi-jack some other thread - It's people like you that make people take pills.
:hijack:

S.R.Custom
09-02-2009, 05:16 PM
"The Gun Digest Book of Handgun Reloading" by Dean Grennel and Wiley Clapp is where you'll find that information. (My volume is dated 1987, and the article is on pages 242-244.) The article doesn't so much as present loading data as it describes how to go about finding the appropriate load yourself. Long story short-- just enough H4227 or IMR4227 to almost (but not quite) fill the available space beneath the pill stack.

And to the rest of you, yes, I said 'pill.' And I won't stop until y'all start making proper use of the apostrophe. (It doesn't go in front of every damned 'S' you write.) And the comma. And while you're at it, learn the proper use of advice/advise, lose/loose, to/too/two, and their/there/they're. ;)

And yeah, I sometimes wear a hat at the table, too. There are some pretty vile table manners out there, and I'd just as soon not have to look at 'em.

750k2
09-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Thanks Super - :drinks:
Just happen to have some laying around.
I know it's been done but it's always worth seeking others knowledge.

Bret4207
09-03-2009, 08:02 AM
Sorry 750, it doesn't work that way for anyone here. At the top of the column there is a "Thread tools" option. Go in there to change it. Telling 3 guys who've been here pretty much since day one to mind their own business just doesn't work.

mike in co
09-03-2009, 09:34 AM
go look at the title on my first post

1Shirt
09-03-2009, 10:50 AM
The Lyman 358101 is a 75 gr WC, that can be stacked two in a 38S, and three in a 357 with the top one crimped in the lube groove. Sort of an ugly looking thing but they shoot. Used to load them a number of years ago, and still have a single cav (no I won't sell or trade it), over a mild load of, I think bullseye. Never chronoed, but think they would run in the 650-750 fps bracket. Think I used the min suggested charge for the 200 grainer FOR THE 357. (NOT A RECOMMENDATION). Have probaly not loaded them for over 20 years.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

gon2shoot
09-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Biteing my toung, prolly need a pill.

peter nap
09-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Biteing my toung, prolly need a pill.

:groner:

KYCaster
09-03-2009, 11:59 PM
"The Gun Digest Book of Handgun Reloading" by Dean Grennel and Wiley Clapp is where you'll find that information. (My volume is dated 1987, and the article is on pages 242-244.) The article doesn't so much as present loading data as it describes how to go about finding the appropriate load yourself. Long story short-- just enough H4227 or IMR4227 to almost (but not quite) fill the available space beneath the pill stack.

And to the rest of you, yes, I said 'pill.' And I won't stop until y'all start making proper use of the apostrophe. (It doesn't go in front of every damned 'S' you write.) And the comma. And while you're at it, learn the proper use of advice/advise, lose/loose, to/too/two, and their/there/they're. ;)

And yeah, I sometimes wear a hat at the table, too. There are some pretty vile table manners out there, and I'd just as soon not have to look at 'em.

I have a set of molds (moulds...is that better?) for the Magma machines that casts a .38 cal cylindrical slug....uh...pill.....uh....boolit about a quarter inch long. I haven't cast anything with it yet, but it looks like three would fit in a .38 or .357 case, depending where it was crimped...probably four in a .357 Max. I'll have to get them out and try some.

BTW, Supermag, what are you, the grammer police??? Comma's??? We don't need no steenkin' comma's, or apostrophe's either. Take a chill pill or two, to deal with it, you're too hyper. Ea'se up there, they're ju'st trying to expre's's their oppinion'''s. But, maybe you're right, if we let them get too loose with their punctuation, we may lose sight of the message. :hijack:

Bruce....I put a Loopy on my Winnie 35 Remmy and shot a muley. . . . Like fingernails on a black board, isn't it.

And one more thing, while I'm at it...if any of you ever came to my Mom's table with a hat on, she'd take a fly swatter and knock it right off your head.

Have I covered everything?? Lots of things I don't like either, but then, look who we're dealing with. [smilie=b:

Jerry

P.S. Just messin' with ya. Please take it in the spirit it was delivered. ;)

peter nap
09-04-2009, 04:21 AM
Proper grammar and sentence formation is extremely important here. It's even been linked to Fat Girls in Spandex:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=5967&highlight=johnsons+past+wax

I like multi-projectile loads in a lot of smaller guns like my American Derringer Company .410/45 Colt.

I made a die that flattens buckshot into case sized disks. I put a pinch of beeswax in between each disk and just use load data for the total weight. This is an old George Nonte trick.

shotman
09-04-2009, 04:35 AM
:hijack:Well I got to ask why? I know just cause. Hey guys watch this

NickSS
09-04-2009, 05:45 AM
I have loaded multi ball loads in a 357 mag revolver. I shoot a lot of cap and ball guns and have a mold that casts .375 round balls. I run them through my 357 sizing die and then coat them with LLA. I load them in a 357 mag cast with 3.5 gr of red dot and three balls the last ball is crimped into the mouth of the case. I originally loaded them to try a buckshot load for rapidly moving small game. I eventually quit using them as the balls never spread much at the ranges I was shooting. As I recall they would print something like a 3 inch group at 25 yards. As most of my fast bunny shooting was done at 10 or 15 yards I never felt that the multi ball load gave me much advantage. I stilll have a few around for my house gun as I feel that they will not penetrate a two leg critter and go through a wall like a heavier bullet may.

use enough gun
09-04-2009, 06:33 AM
I used 3 round balls over 10 grains of unique in my 45/70, worked great out to 25-30 yards. I may have to try it againin my BFR. I used 6 round balls in my 45/120 with the same powder charge weight. Dave

Bret4207
09-04-2009, 07:20 AM
Proper grammar and sentence formation is extremely important here. It's even been linked to Fat Girls in Spandex:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=5967&highlight=johnsons+past+wax

Aw man! The glob/gob discussion. I'd forgotten that one. Wonder whatever happened to Elmo?

And yes, multi-boolit loads are lots of fun to play with within their effective range.