PDA

View Full Version : Sorta Lever - CPA 44 1/2

6pt-sika
04-10-2006, 12:49 AM
I'm thinking long and hard about the purchase of a CPA 44 1/2 in Schuetzen style in 32-40 caliber . I've been drooling over this for a couple years .
Anybody here have one or shot one ? It doesn't have to be a Schuetzen , any CPA will do.

For those that are not familier with these , they are a copy of the old Stevens 44 1/2 single shot rifle . But they have levers like an 1885 winchester.

www.singleshotrifles.com

Dale53
04-10-2006, 01:24 AM
I have a CPA Stevens-Pope 44 1/2 in 32/40 with a #4 barrel (rather heavy). It is a great Schuetzen rifle. Extremely accurate, if you do your part. I use breech seated bullets (custom bullet mould, as cast, with Emmert's Home Mix). Use rifle primers. I am an active Schuetzen competitor.

Dale53

Bullshop
04-10-2006, 01:26 AM
I have an origonal for sale.
BIC/BS

6pt-sika
04-10-2006, 04:04 AM
I have a CPA Stevens-Pope 44 1/2 in 32/40 with a #4 barrel (rather heavy). It is a great Schuetzen rifle. Extremely accurate, if you do your part. I use breech seated bullets (custom bullet mould, as cast, with Emmert's Home Mix). Use rifle primers. I am an active Schuetzen competitor.

Dale53

You shoot at Beeson's Range at Etna Green ?

Do you shoot the over 40 cal class as well ?

I've been to one schuetzen match at the Fairfax Rod and Gun Club in Manasas VA. Sadly it was raining that day so there were not very many people there.Went there expressly to see a rifle like yours . There was a nice looking Miller there , but they do not appeal to me.

I want one in 32-40 then add three or four other barrels later. You ever fool with the 25-20SS or 25-21 Stevens ? Or how about the 28-30 Stevens ?Also would like a 38-55 barrel but that would be last . I think 25 , 28 , 32 and 38 would make a nice setup.

4060MAY
04-10-2006, 09:28 AM
I have two, one in 40-60 and one in 32-40, the 40-60 is my BPCR rifle and has the straight sil stock on it, the 32-40 has a mod 52 stock and is yet to be fired. most of the schuetzen shooting I have done is with a No.3 Ruger built by Larry Thompson and Tim Mather, cal is .32Thompson. the best i ever shot in a match was 248/8c. the group was .97. this is a 200yd match.

The CPA Rifles are probably one of the better single shot rifles available in today's market. Gail and Paul are very in tune to shooters. Call them for more info.

Chuck

Bent Ramrod
04-11-2006, 10:52 PM
6pt-sika

I have a plain-vanilla original Stevens 44-1/2 with barrels in .25-20 WCF, .25-20 SS and .25-21. I probably shoot the .25-20SS barrel more than the others, although the .25-21 seems the most accurate by a shade (maybe). The .25 WCF barrel I put on when I want to stalk the wily tin can. My advice is "collect all three," but I'm certifiable on the subject of small and medium .25 calibers.

A friend had the Shuttleworth (CPA) Stevens 44-1/2 for a while and used it as a BPCR Silhouette rifle. He eventually sold it but only because he liked the looks of the sidehammer Sharps better. The Stevens didn't look like the traditional image of a buffalo slayer but there was nothing wrong with the way it shot.

I like the looks of Stevens rifles and am a fan of the old Stevens company. They're my favorite brand.

Dale53
04-12-2006, 01:56 AM
pt-sika;
Yes, I shoot regularly at Etna Green, IN (I am an ASSRA Director and a Contributing Editor of The Single Shot Rifle Journal).

MY most used competition rifle is a Peregrine actioned offhand rifle that I am shooting from the bench. It's caliber is .32/.357 Dell (very similar to the .32 Miller Short).

I also compete in the .22 only matches with a .22 Ballard offhand rifle and a BSA Int'l Martini (mostly off the bench of late because of recurring back problems).

I have little experience with the .25's except my Marlin 25/20 lever action. It is a dandy. Quite accurate and a FINE squirrel and small game rifle.

Dale53

6pt-sika
04-12-2006, 08:11 AM
pt-sika;
Yes, I shoot regularly at Etna Green, IN (I am an ASSRA Director and a Contributing Editor of The Single Shot Rifle Journal).

MY most used competition rifle is a Peregrine actioned offhand rifle that I am shooting from the bench. It's caliber is .32/.357 Dell (very similar to the .32 Miller Short).

Dale53

So thats your Peregrine in the Nov/Dec 2005 issue of Single Shot Journal . I must say that gun has some fine engraving , as well as wood .

Sounds like you come to VA and shoot in Charlie Dell's matches ?

Ever go to any of Chris Christenson's matches in Thurmont MD ?

Bret4207
04-14-2006, 07:37 AM
I don't have one yet, but someday I will. I do have an ancient Stevens 44 in 32WCF with a less than stellar barrel. A couple of Stevens Favorite could be found here too. I just plain like the Stevens designs.

Dale- I thought you were the R. Dale from the ASSRA. Now I know for sure. Thanks for all your work. I'm more than a little jealous that you can make all those shoots and such. Good for you.