PDA

View Full Version : .35 Whelen chambers

Marlin Junky
09-01-2009, 09:44 PM
I might have the opportunity to buy a Browning M78 (modern 1885) with a shot out .22-250 barrel, with the idea of re-barreling to .35 Whelen. Question is: how do I go about acquiring a .35W reamer with a cast boolit throat of proper dimension? I want to shoot 180 to 280 grain boolits but all the molds I'll use over about 250 grains will probably be custom cuts. My .358 and .350 Ruger M77's have fairly compatible chamber dimensions with respect to current .35 caliber molds but even their throats are a bit long (diameters are good though). On the other hand, the chamber dimensions on my H-R in .35W are just bizarre. IIRC, SAECO 352 seated to touch the rifling in this turkey doesn't have the complete grease groove covered.

I'm also wondering about the best way to mount a scope on a B-78.

Thanks,
MJ

hyoder
09-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Try Dave Manson

http://www.mansonreamers.com/

Marlin Junky
09-02-2009, 12:11 AM
Is Dave Manson a cast boolit aficionado?

MJ

Nrut
09-02-2009, 12:23 AM
If you use the factory barrel contour then you just use the scope bases the come with the rifle...The receiver is D&T and the front base goes on the barrel...Are you going to have the 22-250 barrel re-bored?
I haven't done it but I would discuss with D. Mason if it would be helpful to send him some dummy rounds to grind the reamer off of...
You'll have a neat nice packing rifle when you are done...
Keep us posted as you work on this project as I am sure more than a few are interested...
Oh, and sneak a PP boolit into the mix while you are at it..
:smile

I have read that Dave understands cast..

leftiye
09-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Manson will make your reamer to your specs. I'm not sure if that includes non-custom calibers (by his list), but I am sure that he will do it. He may charge for a custom reamer though.

shooter93
09-02-2009, 03:39 PM
The way I usually have it done and I've had several made is to cast the boolit you want to use. Load a dummy round or two the way you intend to shoot them. I send this to the reamer company, I've been using Pacific, and tell them the clearences you want as well as leade or throat. Again I've been giving a thou or thou and a half per side...depends on several things....and have been using 1-1/2 degree leade. One degree may actually be better for cast only but 1-1/2 works quite well with cast and the rifles still shoot J-bullets real well. Reamers have run me roughly 100 bucks apiece.

runfiverun
09-02-2009, 05:29 PM
will a whelen go through a 22-250 action?
will the carrier need to be worked on etc??
youu might want to clean the 22-250 bbl before you call it shot-out...

Marlin Junky
09-02-2009, 07:20 PM
will a whelen go through a 22-250 action? will the carrier need to be worked on etc??

It's a Browning 1885 Japchester High Wall.

youu might want to clean the 22-250 bbl before you call it shot-out...

I'd be buying the gun with a shot-out barrel for a reason... discounted price. :smile:

MJ

Marlin Junky
09-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Manson will make your reamer to your specs.

Problem is, I don't know what I'm doing.

I'm not sure if that includes non-custom calibers (by his list), but I am sure that he will do it. He may charge for a custom reamer though.

MJ

Marlin Junky
09-02-2009, 07:25 PM
The way I usually have it done and I've had several made is to cast the boolit you want to use. Load a dummy round or two the way you intend to shoot them. I send this to the reamer company, I've been using Pacific, and tell them the clearences you want as well as leade or throat. Again I've been giving a thou or thou and a half per side...depends on several things....and have been using 1-1/2 degree leade. One degree may actually be better for cast only but 1-1/2 works quite well with cast and the rifles still shoot J-bullets real well. Reamers have run me roughly 100 bucks apiece.

Thank you very much for the suggestions. That's kind of the way I though to handle the situation but didn't know if that's the way reamer makers worked.

MJ

Marlin Junky
09-02-2009, 07:27 PM
If you use the factory barrel contour then you just use the scope bases the come with the rifle...The receiver is D&T and the front base goes on the barrel...Are you going to have the 22-250 barrel re-bored?
I haven't done it but I would discuss with D. Mason if it would be helpful to send him some dummy rounds to grind the reamer off of...
You'll have a neat nice packing rifle when you are done...
Keep us posted as you work on this project as I am sure more than a few are interested...
Oh, and sneak a PP boolit into the mix while you are at it..
:smile

I have read that Dave understands cast..

Thank you, and you can bet there will be a 250-270 grain PP boolit in the fray for hunting really big hoofed game.

MJ

runfiverun
09-02-2009, 10:11 PM
m.j.: scott[shooter93] does this stuff all the time. getting a good smith involved is an excellent idea..

shooter93
09-04-2009, 08:10 PM
I missed the scope part...browning made bases and rings for them, mine are are sold. Once you know your contour number...call Conetrol. He will tell you which bases to use. His highest rings are no higher than Leupold's low rings so you can easily use his high rings and still have the scope mounted very low. Conetrol make a "gunnur" series that is the same ring with a matt blue that really aren't all that pricey.