PDA

View Full Version : Rusty boolits...

jdgabbard
09-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Alright, I guess some time over the last few months (cant remember last time I cast) I cast up some 358495's. Well I guess I wrapped them up in a cloth and stuck them in my bench drawer until I had time to lube and size 'em. Well I was pulling a mic out and I noticed they were still there and wrapped up. Pulled them out and opened up the rag only to notice that they rusted!

You know, the dull, grainy grey with a few spots of white.

So my question is, considering the (forgive me, I've forgotten the proper name) lead rust is super dangerous as far as lead exposure goes, should I just toss 'em in the trash? Or melt 'em down and try to recover the lead? Just from a safety perspective that is?

high standard 40
09-01-2009, 09:44 PM
I'd throw them in with the next melt while using prudence to control dust during the process and you should be just fine. And I'd call that oxidation.

RayinNH
09-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Throw them in your tumbler with some used up media or just a few handfuls of sawdust. Shouldn't take very long to get rid of the oxide. Empty outside when done...Ray

longbow
09-01-2009, 09:51 PM
If the boolits aren't badly pitted then I would just wipe them off and use them.

The oxide is bad stuff though so wash your hands after handling them.

jdgabbard
09-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Hrms. Alright, well I'll just toss them back into the pot then.

Bret4207
09-02-2009, 07:43 AM
I can't see how they'll hurt anything. Lead oxides aren't like aluminum oxide, IOW not abrasive that I know of. Melt them if you want, but a quick swipe of the loaded rounds with 4/0 steel wool will give you shiny boolits.

Calamity Jake
09-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Next time don't wrap them up wet and you won't have that problem

jdgabbard
09-02-2009, 08:36 AM
I don't believe they were wet. Actually I believe they were dry.

TAWILDCATT
09-02-2009, 11:11 AM
that grey is a form of protection for the lead.it is hard.dont get into the lead poison thing.I have seen this bull for 40 yrs.and I have cast since 1937.and am 85.
"its for the children you know" I am sick and tired of it.the NRA(you are a member are you not)did extensive work on lead poisoning.especialy on ranges leaching and prove it does not happen.
the cloth absorbed moisture and that was why it got corroded.:coffee:

mdi
09-02-2009, 11:41 AM
that grey is a form of protection for the lead.it is hard.dont get into the lead poison thing.I have seen this bull for 40 yrs.and I have cast since 1937.and am 85.
"its for the children you know" I am sick and tired of it.the NRA(you are a member are you not)did extensive work on lead poisoning.especialy on ranges leaching and prove it does not happen.
the cloth absorbed moisture and that was why it got corroded.:coffee:

Finally, a voice of reason! I've read a bit of info from the CDC on lead poisoning and I am even more convenced the whole "lead poisoning scare" is BS. From what I've read, lead oxide when injested or inhaled can cause lead poisoning (over a long period of time) and the lead in metal form usually does not. The whole scare is politaclly motivated; politicians in CA have stated that lead wheel weights fly off vehicles (evil little buggers!) and lay on the side of the road where they get ground into dust (how?) and w/rain poison the entire ground water system. Also the California Buzzards are being poisoned by lead bullets they injest from gut piles (even though there hasn't been documented proof :confused:).

So, jagabbard, I'd say use the bullets. Wipe them down to remove most of the corrosion, and don't pop any in your mouth. You'll be fine! :cool:

yondering
09-02-2009, 05:05 PM
FYI, the your boolits "corroded" or "oxidized", but are not "rusted". Rust is a specific term for the red/brown colored oxidization of iron. It does not happen with lead.

Unless you don't have the mold anymore, why bother? Just melt them down and make new shiny boolits.