PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Metal!!!!

docone31
09-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Boy, I got this stuff back when I first started.
It was used for making lead castings. I am not sure what it is.
It had a layer, under heat, like foam. I diluted it useing PB untill I could get the "lead" out.
It clung to the dipper, made a general mess, took a long time to freeze.
My thoughts on it are a white casting metal. The foam does dilute to an extant.
I ended up tossing the foam out.
It was used in large castings, like Crosses, figuires.
What a mess.
Definately not wheel weight, or PB.
Any ideas?

WILCO
09-01-2009, 02:53 PM
I've got nothing...........:-(

docone31
09-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Well, more details.
It is fairly light, almost melts at the high setting on a kitchen stove. Lead melts easily on the same stove.
I haven't weighted them yet, but pure lead is noticeably heavier than the same amount of this stuff.
The foam like top crust, is grey in colour. Matching the rest.
When I go below the top layer, the lead has definate crystalline patterns. It is quick to oxidize though. When I add enough pure to this stuff, it does get more liquid.
I am thinking, a type of pewter with zinc? Lots of zinc.

lylejb
09-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Sounds more like pot metal than lead. Whatever it is, i don't think i would try to make boolits with it.

If you REALLY want to know what it is, Rotometals has an analysis service for $79

http://www.rotometals.com/category-s/59.htm

I don't think i would spring for it, however.

SierraWhiskeyMC
09-01-2009, 11:52 PM
Sounds like "pot metal". Probably has a lot of zinc in it. Not good for making boolits; too light weight and too brittle.

"Pot metal" alloys can vary considerably depending upon what the goals were of the company using it and the item(s) being cast from it.

SciFiJim
09-02-2009, 01:58 AM
Quote from survivalblog.com

pennies are roughly 97% zinc and 3% copper. To that mixture, one may add a few aluminum cans and minor amount of copper wire to bring the mix to 93% zinc, 3% copper, and 4% aluminum. This alloy melts at relatively low temperatures and is called “Zamak”. Zamak is a light, strong, easily castable alloy that because of its “campfire” range melting temperature is just the ticket for replacing small metal parts in a pinch.

Could be zamak. Save it aside for casting things other than boolits, maybe with a sand casting mold.

docone31
09-02-2009, 08:25 AM
I had forgotten about Zamak.
I used to cast with it in the '70s. Back when I made pewter lamps.
I do not know though, the top crust doesn't get liquid. Just spongy.
I might thin it waaaay out. Might be good for paper patching. I mean way out with pure lead.