PDA

View Full Version : NEI Handtool Molds

ordway
04-09-2006, 07:30 PM
I understand that this company was taken over by the daughter of Walt Melander and moved from Oregon to El Paso, Texas. Has anyone purchased molds from the El Paso location? I would appreciate any comments concerning quality of these molds from the new location. I am looking for a 125+/- grain bullet to be used in gallery loads for the 8mm Mauser and none of the major companies produce such an item. Thanks... Contact me at: ordway@intergate.com.

Buckshot
04-10-2006, 05:16 AM
............There were quality concerns at first that appear to have been all taken care of. I've heard from numerous people over the past several years who have been completely satisfied with their quality. I personally haven't bought one since Walt's passing, but from what I've heard I wouldn't hesitate.

...............Buckshot

John F. Lang
04-10-2006, 07:48 AM
I live just 45 miles from El Paso, Tx.
NEI is a next door neighbor as is Weaver Scope Repair for thr old style Weaver Scopes.
I have one NEI mold that I came by as a fluke. Some sucker had jammed it with lead because he had junk between the blocks when he closed it . A buddy picked it up for the handles at an El Paso gun show for me just for the RCBS handles that are required on NEI molds.(The previous owner had messed up the screws holding the mold to the handles to the point that they are non-removable but now I don't care!)
When I saw the problem and cleared it, the mold casts great bullets that are about 190 gr with my allow.
Meantime, I had bought a NEI mold off of E-Bay that is a 190 gr mold. That one is great also.
I just bought two RCBS molds that NEI has modified for their front guide ring (forgot what they call it just offhand) and a new NEI mold that has the same mod. in it.
NEI molds are great molds and, I believe, well worth the investment.

Needless to say, I would tell you to go ahead on and get the molds.

JL

montana_charlie
04-10-2006, 04:09 PM
RCBS handles that are required on NEI molds.

JL
JL,
I would like a little more clarification on that requirement.

Since my purchase of a Sharps pattern rifle, I have bought two moulds...both are NEI. I am using real cheap Lee handles on one, and a old set of Saeco handles on the other. In both instances a little 'fitting' was required.

Some light grinding on the inside faces of the jaws, between the pivot holes and the hinge pin, allowed the blocks to pivot enough to close in the Saeco handles.

The eighth-inch-thick jaws on the cheapo Lee handles just needed a pair of shims to fill up the excess space in the block cuts.

My moulds close fully and open smoothly, but I DO get a large percentage of rejects.
I think my problem is too little heat...or too little tin...but would be interested to hear any theories that center on the brand of handles being used.

Do you happen to know if NEI moulds require RCBS handles...or if that is based on the fact that when you order moulds with handles, NEI supplies RCBS tongs?
CM

ordway
04-10-2006, 04:19 PM
All I can tell you is that this company advertises that their molds are designed to be used with RCBS handles. They do not insist that you buy the handles from NEI i.e. you can buy the handles from a discount mail order house.

Dale53
04-10-2006, 06:25 PM
Modified Lee handles work quite well with NEI moulds. NEI's are made to work with RCBS handles and that is what they specify (quite naturally, I think). Everyone is not good with their hands and you cannot, as a business, recommend something that has to be "worked on" before it works.

By the way, when I say "Lee Handles" I mean Lee six cavity handles.

Dale53

Char-Gar
04-10-2006, 06:55 PM
NEI was in El Paso for a number of years. I used to visit Walt in his shop when it was there. Walt got crosswise with the Texas Tax folks over some taxes he was not paying and moved up to Oregon. He sold the business and then took it back.

The business was up for sale for a while, and then the Daughter moved it back to El Paso.

I sent a mold back to them in El Paso about a year ago for repair. It came back ASAP with the work done in an expert fashion. I also here that the molds being produced there are of high quality and I would not hesitated to buy one.

I have six or eight NEI molds and have been happy with them all.

Buckshot
04-10-2006, 08:22 PM
.................Hello John! I think the alteration you spoke of that NEI does is to cut the 'DD' engraving bands on the nose, right?

................Buckshot

GLL
04-10-2006, 09:39 PM
I have two relatively new NEI moulds and would not hesitate to buy more !

Both are very well made and drop beautiful bullets !

Although I use RCBS handles I do have a pair of LEE 6-cavity handles that are modified to fit as well. The LEE handles work just fine.

I plan on ordering a 4-cavity #256 .429-255 next week and will ask if the will modify the base band for me.

Jerry

chunkum
04-10-2006, 09:52 PM
I've purchased several moulds from NEI in Texas and have had excellent casting results from all of them. I like to experiment and took advantage of their "two bullet designs in one mould block" product. I have thse types of cuts in .357, .22, .459, and .431 and am tickled plum to death with them. I used the Lee handles on the first ones, altered for a better fit with a flat filing of the upper and lower flat surfaces and slight opening of the outer portion of the holes with a chain saw file. Since then I've gotten several sets of RCBS handles and, to me, it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. Both types seem to give good casting results. Their moulds are manufactured on order from their catelog and always delivered in less than two weeks. If you can't tell I'm a fan of these moulds, then I'll just say it. I really like them for their quality and the variety of bullet cuts available in them.
Best Regards,
chunkum

John F. Lang
04-11-2006, 03:44 AM
Hey Buckshot, hows it going!

You are quit right about the front driving band in the NEI molds being called the "DD" modification. The mod. is available in some NEI molds and can be installed in other molds also. A check with NEI is best before just shipping something to them.

Charlie,
the NEI site has the following in their catalog:
Mold Handles:
All the molds are designed to fit RCBS handles.
Also, NEI molds, at least mine, do not come with RCBS handles unless requested.

Walt moved NEI to Oregon and passed away there as per The Fouling Shot. Then his daughter took over the business and moved it back to El Paso where she and her husband currently run NEI.
They are doing a great job, in my humble opinion, of keeping a good business going and making a good product available to the shooting field.

JL