PDA

View Full Version : bullet lube advice needed

bobthenailer
08-31-2009, 06:13 PM
i just started useing my new batch of magnma bullet lube , its a hard lube, and i am getting leading in the barrels of my guns that never leaded before ! ive used magnma lube 2 times before and also zambene red, thompson, tru flight and lbt all hard lubes with no problems before. i called magnma to see if anyone else complained and they said no one had ? so now i have 10 , 2" x 6 " sticks that will need some magic potion to make it useable , i would like to keep it a hard lube ! so what should i add to my lube and in what proption to make it useable? or can i cut it with another hard lube? thanks bob

longhorn47
08-31-2009, 07:13 PM
well the only thing I can tell you is try mothers nippel cream I have been having great luck with it

geargnasher
08-31-2009, 09:22 PM
I use Lansinoh nipple cream (in my boolit lube, of course!)

Don't scorch it!

Gear

cbrick
08-31-2009, 09:25 PM
Never been too fond of hard lubes myself but what are these cartridges that are now leading. Possible to offer some ideas if we knew the velocity, caliber etc.

Lanolin might help but nipple cream (medical grade lanolin) is right pricey.

Rick

runfiverun
09-01-2009, 01:43 AM
the magma lube doesn't really have any lubing properties but it does mix well with others as it is a micro parfin wax.
just get some carnuba red it works the same as magmas in the star takes less heat and a bit more pressure but does well in boxes...
or try this b-wax to magma 60-40. you now have a carrier. [a spoon full of regular ole lanolin added at the end as the mix cools]
about 25% jpw mixed into the melted wax mix, some alox if you have it. [about 25% also]
and a bit of glycerin,just a few drops [teaspoon full]. or leave out the alox [no biggie] and use a bit of lithium grease 10%,or even ivory soap for the stearate 5%.
once you get the microwave and the hand beater [egg beater thingie the one you make cakes with] and a few taller plastic bowls, don't say i didn't warn ya ,it's kinda fun.
i have made the above mix and it works nicely in rifles and goes through my star better than magma's lube does. [you want a play dough type consistency.]

Shiloh
09-01-2009, 11:50 AM
I thought you guys were putting me on with the nipple cream. It's a real item!!

I'll stick with Larson's BAC thank you very much!!

Shiloh

softpoint
09-01-2009, 02:16 PM
I got lanolin at Wal Mart, in 1 lb. jars. I ain't going in the store asking fer no nipple cream.
Cook you up a batch of FWFL and be done with your lube problems. There are probably some commercial lubes as good, but it's sorta satisfying to do it yourself, and I've certainly never found any that was better:coffee:

bobthenailer
09-01-2009, 07:12 PM
for some reason making my own lube never intrested me ! i always just bought lube and until now ive have had excellent results. im useing 2 new bullets with the new lube a lee 255 rfn and a MM 275 gr tc i am shooting these from 1000 to 1200 fps , with tight group, univ clays and hs6 powder .with the same powder i worked up for mt MM 260 gr lfn gc without the gas ck installed and the old batch of magnma lube im useing these in a FA 454 casull with 454 brass i have probley 2500 + rounds through this pistol and probley 99% were lead. im getting alot of lead build up at the last 2 to 3 inches of the muzzel , which tells me the lube is not doing its job .
today i removed the the new magnma lube from 100 MM 275 tc bullets and lubed them with lbt commercial, so sunday will be my testing day!
thanks for the help guy's

hiram
09-01-2009, 07:23 PM
I can't tell you how much - but try a samll amount of lanolin and alox. I got lanolin on ebay.

GabbyM
09-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Click link at bottom of this bpage titled Lar45's LsStuff and buy his 2500 or canauba Red. Then just sell that Maga lube on ebay.

If you really want to melt lube you could just get some of Lar's stuff and blend it in. Or just add some vasalene at about 15% to your Magma. Lanolin would be better but harder to get.

You could melt your lube one stick at a time using a quart jar in a microwave. Adding a spoon full of vasaline to it.

This is where I buy my lanolin and other slipery stuff.
http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html

geargnasher
09-01-2009, 09:00 PM
I thought you guys were putting me on with the nipple cream. It's a real item!!

I'll stick with Larson's BAC thank you very much!!

Shiloh

It's the only way I can get lanolin locally other than in oil form at the local hippie food store and the CVS pharmacy store brand is cheaper than it's equivalent Lansinoh brand. Well worth the 4 bucks-for-a-pound-of-lube cost for what it does.

I can't believe you've been doing this this long and haven't made your own Felix lube!

Gear

Marlin Hunter
09-01-2009, 09:16 PM
It's the only way I can get lanolin locally other than in oil form at the local hippie food store and the CVS pharmacy store brand is cheaper than it's equivalent Lansinoh brand.

Gear

Where is the stuff located in the CVS store?

largom
09-01-2009, 09:52 PM
I have a large assortment of different brands of lube which I have tested and they all worked. Some better than others. I never wanted to mix my own lube since the savings did not justify the effort.

Well, after reading about FWFL on this site I decided to mix some up and test it. Maybe I just got lucky with this first batch but believe it or not my groups improved. Same gun, same boolit, same load. shot same day and the Felix lube gave better groups. This occured with 2 different rifles, several more to test.

Larry

geargnasher
09-02-2009, 12:58 AM

It's in the infant care section, by the formulas and diapers IIRC, about 8 bucks a tube which makes about 1 to 1.5 pounds of FWFL. Go ahead and ask the pharmacist for it, you get some funny looks!

Gear

geargnasher
09-02-2009, 01:03 AM
I have a large assortment of different brands of lube which I have tested and they all worked. Some better than others. I never wanted to mix my own lube since the savings did not justify the effort.

Well, after reading about FWFL on this site I decided to mix some up and test it. Maybe I just got lucky with this first batch but believe it or not my groups improved. Same gun, same boolit, same load. shot same day and the Felix lube gave better groups. This occured with 2 different rifles, several more to test.

Larry

It's like a religion.

I was a believer from the very first group I shot. Smells good, too.

Gear

bobthenailer
09-05-2009, 06:58 AM
ive get excellent accuracy with hard lube , but ive allways worked up the load useing hard lube!
when i was shooting silleweti i worked up my load with red rooster zambeni red when i needed to lube some more bullets, i lubed with lbt commercial. at 100 yards accuracy was the same with either bullet lube but the lbt lube bullets were about 70 fps less velocity { better lubrication ,less friction less pressure = less velocity thes loads were loaded at the same time on my press , same powder setting , primers & same lot of casings and these were 20 shot groups. having said that i quit useing zambeni red over 10 years ago and use lbt for the high velocity stuff and the other brands of hard lube for lighter stuff.

wiljen
09-05-2009, 07:46 AM

Its cheaper at the Walmart -on the baby Isle with the bottles etc...

Echo
09-06-2009, 01:31 AM
I got lanolin at Wal Mart, in 1 lb. jars. I ain't going in the store asking fer no nipple cream.

C'mon, man, think of the entertainment value of asking a salesperson for some nipple cream! Zounds! There are numerous paths to take, from a slowly lifted eyebrow, to 'It's for my dog - she's nursing', to stuttering and breaking out in a sweat &cetera...
>
On the other hand, being there @ College Station among all those Aggies, one would think the populace would be well indoctrinated, given the curriculum of animal husbandry and the utility of lanolin as a zipper lubricant....

anachronism
09-06-2009, 09:49 AM
Moving right along... Magma gave me free samples of bullet lube when I bought my Star. I had been using Thompsons Blue Angel & LBT up to that point. I didn't even get through the first stick of Magma. I melted it out & tossed everything I had left into my bullet lube box & used it later for experimentation, using it as paraffin. From there I went to Felix's lube, but decided I wanted to keep large quantities of bullets ready to use, so I went back to hard lubes. Right now I'm using Carnuba Red, while I consider making my own hard lube of some sort.

runfiverun
09-06-2009, 11:27 AM
you can cut about a third/ half a stick of the magma stuff in with the carnuba just by melting them together and stiring till cool.

bobthenailer
09-07-2009, 08:36 AM
i ordered 5 , 2x6 sticks of lars carnubia red ! and i retested my loads with tightgroup, univ clays and hs-6 with lbt commercial , in place of the magnma lube . i used the 275 gr tc bullet , with no leading and accuracy was what ive come to expect from this revolver. now i will have to reblend the magnma lube to make it useable ! thanks bob

bobthenailer
09-15-2009, 07:36 PM
well fist i tried 67 % car red and 33 % magnma not firm enough for my liking next i tried 50/50 perfect !!! flows from my star at about 95 degrees