PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand Assembly Tools

mtgrs737
08-31-2009, 04:09 PM
I bought an M1 Garand Kit from a fellow forum member and stripped receiver and would like to install the barrel and check/set the head space, but I would like to do it myself. Buying the proper tools can get a tad expensive, espaecially if one is only planning on doing 1 rifle. Does anyone here have any of the needed tools that they might loan/rent to a fellow cast bullet addict to help him along his way? I figure I will need a barrel vise, receiver wrench, go/no go gages, and possibly a pull through reamer. Any other tools or advise from those that have been down this road would be much appreciated.

TAWILDCATT
09-04-2009, 11:35 AM
you really should have the barrel put on by a gunsmith that does this work.and make sure the hammer has the safety extention on it.
I made two and had barrels put on and headspaced.:coffee:

Bat Guano
09-28-2009, 10:21 PM
I have done two, using the Kulek M1 book which worked well for me. I expected to to "a few" so invested in the CMP vise and wrench. Also used a regular reamer and Kulek's technique which requires a clear head. I had a little advantage in that I had watched an old gunsmith friend rebarrel some rifles and learned something about it from him.

I too was looking for a challenge; but for a one-off I think I would give it to someone who does it all the time. But it is doable if you are very careful and methodical.

There used to be someone who did reamer rentals but my bookmark no longer pulls it up.

nicholst55
09-28-2009, 10:56 PM
http://www.4-dproducts.com/display.php?group=Pull+Through+Headspace+Reamers

Be advised that it most definitely IS possible to cut a chamber too deep with these reamers! If you don't know how to use it, ask either Clymer, who makes them, or the vendor!