PDA

View Full Version : Lee Hand Loader Press

Green Frog
08-30-2009, 08:39 PM
I am looking at the hand held Lee Loading Press for one specific purpose... to FL size Maynard 50 cal percussionbrass in the field so it will fit my tight chamber. I will have to use a special shell holder for the large diameter rim, of course, but that's been taken care of, as have the dies. My question is, how have you found the hand press to be? Is it good and solid, and does it last? I don't think I will be using it very heavily, but I don't need to be frustrated when I do need to use it. TIA for any assistance you will be able to provide!

Froggie

docone31
08-30-2009, 08:57 PM
If the toggle has been changed over to the new one, you can put some real pressure on it.
I size from .316 down to .308 with it.

Shiloh
08-31-2009, 07:12 PM
I used to take mine to the range every once in a while. I can neck size .30-30 and FL size .223.
I need to look into the new toggle mentioned above.

Shiloh

Green Frog
08-31-2009, 07:31 PM
If the toggle has been changed over to the new one, you can put some real pressure on it.
I size from .316 down to .308 with it.

Do the currently produced ones have "the new one" already, or is this a post-factory upgrade? I just ordered a new one from Graf, so I guess I will find out.
Now I just have to find a few minutes to order the custom shell holder, and I will be in the loading at the range business! [smilie=2:
I guess I just can't get away from my old days with the Lyman 310 tool, huh? ;-)

Froggie

cajun shooter
09-01-2009, 07:58 AM
I have used the Lee hand tool for 45-70, 45 Colt, 44 Mag and 357. No problems with any straight wall cases. I've not heard of any new toggles for the hand press. Lee did change the ones on the Challenger press. Is that what you are talking about?

Le Loup Solitaire
09-01-2009, 01:43 PM
I've had a couple of these for several years now and they've have served me well. They use standard 7/8x14 dies and full length size rifle or pistol cases. Lee is a bit optimistic with the hype when they say that it is more powerful than some bench presses....I'm still waiting to find out the names of those presses. But anyway they take good pressure, certainly enough to get the job done and so far nothing has broken. I've done 45-70's and 348 's and 405's and those are pretty burley sizes. They go anywhere you go and take up minimal space. I like em especially with the Lee speed dies for pistol. My only gripe is that when you have decapped around 10 cases, especially with large primers, you have to pull the shell holder and empty the spent primers or else continued decapping will plug the small reservoir and jam the shell holder. Otherwise its a handy and efficient tool to have around and mine have lasted and done thousands & thousands of rounds without any kind of hitch. LLS

WILCO
09-01-2009, 02:58 PM
I gave one as a gift many, many moons ago and it's still used exclusively even though that person has other presses.

chris112
09-01-2009, 10:12 PM
I have one. Correct lube of cases is essential but as long as that is done it will reform 223 into 222 Remington and that does move the shoulder back some. I've used RCBS powdered neck lube (works) and Hornady Unique wax lube. The wax lube does work somewhat better (do ever 3rd case).

Green Frog
09-02-2009, 09:58 AM
OK guys, many thanks for the suggestions, confirmation and support. The only "issue" I have left now is the "new" toggle mentioned by docone331. Is this something I will get with my new one ordered this week from Graf, or is it something that needs to be done "post factory," or is docone331 referring to another press? [smilie=w: I am pretty familiar with all of the intricacies and manufacturing variations of the old Lyman and Ideal stuff, but have only dabbled with Lee, so need all the help I can get to come up to speed with this unique item. :confused: Thanks again!

Froggie :mrgreen: