PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 325C reciever sight

280Ackley
08-30-2009, 05:07 PM
I have a 325C with an unknown (by me) type of reciever sight. I was playing with some new loads today that are fairly slow (book 1600 -1700fps) Anyway, as you can see from the attached photo I had to set the sight up fairly high to get zeroed at a 100. I don't know that it matters, but the little screw in front of the slide ran out of travel about a 1/4 inch short of what I needed. Anyone familiar with the sight and have any suggestions for solutions.

Ben
08-30-2009, 07:49 PM
If you choose to continue to shoot that load, you may need to change the front sight height.

Ben

Bent Ramrod
08-30-2009, 09:01 PM
It looks like a variant of the Lyman #40 sight which was made for the Savage Model 40 and 45. The little screw on the front is for your default elevation setting, for instance for a factory load at 100 yards. Then when you had to elevate the sight more, for whatever reason, you didn't have to finagle around or remember the numbers or lines to get the original sight elevation back again. You could just loosen the lever, drop the sight leaf back down until it stopped and lock it back.

A lot of Lyman receiver sights had that little stop screw. It was not meant to turn in as high as the elevation could be set.

280Ackley
08-31-2009, 07:16 PM
A lot of Lyman receiver sights had that little stop screw. It was not meant to turn in as high as the elevation could be set.[/I]

Thanks Ramrod, I'm coming to reciever sights late in my shooting career. The only other that I own is a ghost ring on my guide gun. It suprises me how simple and accurate they are.