PDA

View Full Version : 32 Short Colt - Squirrel Slayer

6pt-sika
04-09-2006, 12:05 PM
Got a Marlin 1892 in 32 cal from a guy in western NY about 4 years ago. You can make this thing shoot RF or CF . All you have to do is change the firing pin . After I got it I had to acquire CF pins , a mold , 32LC brass and dies.
Got dies from CH-4D , pins from Wiesner's , 200 pcs. new R/P 32LC brass from a shop in PA and the heel mold came from a man in VT that has the old Ideal cherry.
After I fitted the pin , I cast some bullets , trimmed the brass and primed the cases. I talked with three or four others that have these and they all gave me pretty much the same load 2-3 grains Unique with the 90 grain heel bullet. Then I loaded some with 2 grs , 2.5grs and 3grs . Amazingly the 3 gr load shot best. Almost forgot after loading you put Lee liquid Alox on the bullet grooves . For those unfamiliar with heel bullets they are just like 22 rimfires.

Now I was ready for the dangerouse grey squirrel . To make a long story short I shot at 3 got one at 23 yards with a headshot , another at 28 with a headshot and just plain missed a third at 19 yards.
I put more time in this little rifle then I have , on probably any three other rifles put together . But it sure was fun :drinks:

JDL
04-09-2006, 05:52 PM
I have a friend who has his Uncle's .32 cal. Marlin Ballard SS, that also has the ablilty to shoot either RF or CF. One day, when no one was home, he was looking at it and found a couple of boxes of RF ammo for it. He carried it outside and shot it a few times and put it back in the closet.....without cleaning.:-( Pitted the barrel good, so now is confined to wall hanger status. -JDL

6pt-sika
04-09-2006, 06:34 PM
I just read the article BCB wrote about the 32 Long colt in the Marlin 1892 . He and I have corresponded before . I had no idea about the cost of 32 LC brass . The 200 new pieces I have cost me $22 plus tax . Me thinks I got a steal [smilie=1:

6pt-sika
04-09-2006, 06:39 PM
Incidently a person that owns one of these little rifles and wants to just shoot it . You can buy winchester factory loaded 32 Short Colt for about $25 for 50 rounds.Or if you want to load and can't find Long Colt brass , they still sell new Short Colt brass at Midway . I also got some of that before I found the LC brass , but I've not tried it yet . Did get a box of the factory loads and shot about 20 of them . They actually did pretty well . :castmine: