PDA

View Full Version : OK I'm stupid I guess

Beekeeper
08-29-2009, 08:04 PM
I have read the books and licked the pages!
I have read the sticky's and any thing else I could find.
I guess I need pictures.
I have three (3) rifles I want to learn paper patching for.
First I have( 2) 1888 commission rifles,details follow

.310 lands
.318 grooves
I have a Lee sizing die honed out to .318 and was thinking of using either Lee C309-180-R or C324-175-1R boolits sized to .308 before PPing.

I have a 71/84 Mauser

434 Land
449 groove

Only have the Lyman 446110 boolit as it is the only mould I have in this caliber.
Have a Lee .430 sizing die and altho it is quite a strech was thinking of using it with pure lead boolits and PP back to .449

Before I waste the time and ruin some equipment I need someones expert opinion on the above Good, Bad , Indiferent.
Better ideas
All are accepted with no hurt here as the idea is to learn and not become a patient in the horsepital

As I said I'm dumb and need pictures and the books don't have any.

Jim

docone31
08-29-2009, 08:34 PM
I might be able to help with the Commission Rifle.
I would size to .309, then two wraps of lined notebook paper. Size to .319. I would start there.
The loads would be starting jacketed loads.
I use Auto Wax for lube, lubing lightly to go through the dies. What is left on the patch is what is left on.
I use a cigarette roller. With the patch soaking wet, lay the patch in the roller. Position the nose of the boolitt so the patch starts about 1/2 way down the ogive. Roll it up, it will come out nice and lightly damp. Twist the tails and set to dry. Size the patches dry, with wax on them. Too much wax, and the patch gets un-tight.
I would use the Lee .30cal you have to start. If groups really suck, I would down size the 8mm mold.
The 8mm mold will probably be the go to on the Commission Rifle in the end, but you want to see if the rifleing will cut paper at .309.
If your groups get close, instead of 20 min., of Berm, to find the size, try smearing lightly, Valve Lapping compound on the patches.
The extra thickness of the grit MIGHT tighten up the group. If this is the case, go the next .001 up.
That is with smokless powder.
I have no clue on the larger one. The ratio on the Commission however should help on the larger bore.

Buckshot
08-31-2009, 03:18 AM
.............For your Mauser get the Lyman Mould 439186. This is for a 370gr RN for the 43 Spanish and will drop a slug in soft lead of .439/.440". Use 9# airmail paper (.002" thick) for your patch. You'll add .007" in OD when the patch dries and shrinks. If you're loading BP it will upset. If you're shooting from the magazine set the slug in a .450" die in your lube-sizer and bump a flat on the nose.

.............Buckshot

pdawg_shooter
08-31-2009, 08:18 AM
Size to bore diameter +.001/.0015, patch to groove diameter +.001-.003. The paper you need will depend on your patching style and the shrink of the paper. You will have to experiment a little and se what works best for you.