PDA

View Full Version : NOE mould prep instructions

SilverBow
08-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Hi,

Would someone please post the instructions that NOE includes with their moulds? I received one of the 360WFN moulds with the Bullplate Lube sample, but there were no instructions on how to prep the mould.

Thanks,
Stirling

SwedeNelson
08-29-2009, 03:07 PM
SilverBow

Sorry!
Here you go:

"Thank you for purchasing our bullet moulds.
We offer the following tips for keeping your mould like new.
Always close the mould carefully – damage to the alignment pins and seats will cause out of
round bullets.
To season our moulds – run it up to operating temperature (about 350 deg. to 400 deg.) and
let it cool back down to room temp. Do this three or four times. This will give the alignment
pins a chance to seat in. Our molds are engineered to operate at below 600 deg. Running
aluminum moulds hotter than necessary shortens their life substantially and can loosen the alignment pins.
Let the sprue cool before cutting – be careful that the sprue has cooled, if lead smears
across the top of the mould it is not cooled.
Some bullet designs may stick – bullets with a lot, or deep lube grooves and sharp angles
may stick in your mould. If this happens tap on the hinge of the handles with your casting
mallet as you open the mould, the bullet will usually fall out. You may have to repeat the
above with certain designs.
We have furnished you with a sample of Bull Plate lube – To use bring mould up to casting
temperature. Fill cavities with your melt. Cut sprue. Dampen a Q-tip with Bull Plate and lightly
coat top of blocks (with cavities filled) and bottom of sprue plate. Wipe off excess with clean
end or Q-tip. This should go along way in keeping your mould like new.
Thanks again for purchasing our moulds"

Swede Nelson

SilverBow
08-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks for quick reply Al... I didn't want to make a mistake and possibly damage my mould.

Stirling

nvbirdman
08-30-2009, 12:12 AM
Question for Swede--Your instructions call for three or four cycles of heating the mould to 400* and letting it cool to room temperature.
Could we simply do this in the kitchen oven?

SwedeNelson
08-30-2009, 11:59 AM
nvbirdman

Never tried it - but The idea is to get the
aluminum the expand and contract around
the pins. So it should work.

Swede Nelson

shotman
08-30-2009, 12:27 PM
One other note. Watch your brand of Q tip if it has a plactic stem DONT use them. If plactic melts its a mess to clean off

largom
08-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Question for Swede--Your instructions call for three or four cycles of heating the mould to 400* and letting it cool to room temperature.
Could we simply do this in the kitchen oven?

I preped my NOE molds on the kitchen stove, but I also monitored the temp. with a pyrometer so as not to overheat the molds.
Larry