PDA

View Full Version : Composition of lead plates

thx997303
08-29-2009, 01:14 PM
Okay, first off, thanks for the safety warning that will surely ensue after this question, but does anybody know what alloy the plates are in a lead acid battery?

markinalpine
08-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Read this one:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=32891&highlight=%22lead+acid+battery%22

Mark

zuke
08-29-2009, 01:50 PM
I had a friend who had a garage fire. He lost all but the foundation. In the mess of clean-up he called me about 4-6 car batteries he had and told me to come and get'em.
I spent 5 hr's trying to melt'rm and got 3 LEE lead ingot's for my time and LOT'S of dross.
Even if I knew the type of lead it is, it's WAY too time consuming, In that same amount of time I could have melted 2+ 5 gallon pail's of WW.

Their a waste of time. Bring'em to the recycler and get money or trade for something easier to refine.

thx997303
08-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Maybe, I should have added to the OP, that I do not plan on smelting them.

I was merely curious as the to the composition, and figured someone here would know.

Thanks for that link, is that a sticky? if not it should be.

docone31
08-29-2009, 05:26 PM
Lead sulphate.

evan price
08-29-2009, 10:35 PM
The plate frames are lead alloy, with usually calcium and arsenic added. The plate frames are coated in two different types of lead oxide pastes depending on which polarity the plate is, which become the anode and cathode for the battery (+ and - plates). The plates are then covered in a porous envelope of polymer or fiberglass mesh.

I'm sure somebody will chime in here, but recovering battery lead isn't as easy as it sounds because the design of the battery oxidizes the lead inside nevermind the hazmat stuff and the fumes and high heat needed etc.