PDA

View Full Version : caster oil bullet lube

ra_balke
08-28-2009, 09:24 PM
Caster oil.
I read an article about it in a model airplane magazine the other day.

Caster oil, is the primary oil used in 2 stroke engines.

It has a very high flash tempature, so it does not burn well.
It is wetting, so it coats cyl walls well.
Under heat and pressuer, it forms large polymer molecules, so it fills gaps in piston rings.

It seems to me that a bullet and a gun barrel is about the same as a piston in a cylinder..

Hs anyone tried caster oil as a bullet lube ?
Say maybe , caster oil plus bee wax, or with carnuba wax, or... ?

StarMetal
08-28-2009, 09:45 PM
Caster oil.

It has a very high flash tempature, so it does not burn well.
It is wetting, so it coats cyl walls well.
Under heat and pressuer, it forms large polymer molecules, so it fills gaps in piston rings.

It seems to me that a bullet and a gun barrel is about the same as a piston in a cylinder..

Hs anyone tried caster oil as a bullet lube ?
Say maybe , caster oil plus bee wax, or with carnuba wax, or... ?

Yup, they used it in the 2 stroke engines that some WWI planes used. That's why the pilots were those scarfs, not to be dashing, but to wipe the damn oil off their goggles and face.

I've made lube with it, but you have to put other stuff in it to get it to harden up and it's little too slippery. Right now I'm using a lube with beeswax, castor oil, paraffin, and lots and lots of ivory soap. It's working very very good.

Joe

Edubya
08-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Many home brews do include Castor oil. I use it to soften some commercial lube in the winter time. I know, my method is not normal but it works for me.
EW

Heavy
08-28-2009, 10:34 PM
Gentlemen it is the best lube in the world. Felix world famous lube (fwfl). Read above on how to make a batch. Great stuff have been using it for awhile now. I used the Casterol version and have not looked back.

geargnasher
08-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Gentlemen it is the best lube in the world. Felix world famous lube (fwfl). Read above on how to make a batch. Great stuff have been using it for awhile now. I used the Casterol version and have not looked back.

+1. A lot of science went into its development, and if you study industrial lube applications you will have a better understanding of each ingredient and how they work together. FWFL is not just a "concoction" of random stuff that Felix and friends thought was "slick", it is a carefully calculated mixture of lube, carrier, hardener, emulsifier/binder, and adhesive that is tough to beat. (Although I'm bound and determined that it isn't mature technology yet, I'm constantly trying to improve it!)

Gear

runfiverun
08-28-2009, 11:18 PM
slick doesn't cut it with boolit lube, viscosity does.
when felix posts about something i listen carefully to what he has to say.

Marlin Hunter
08-29-2009, 03:36 AM
Caster oil.

Castor oil is not used that much in 2 stroke motors today. AT least not in full size engines like motorcycles, snowmobiles, and water craft. Small R/C engines may still use it and all out competition motorcycles, and boats will use Castor oil because it offers the highest film strength. But Castor oil gums up engines and they need to be torn down and cleaned more often. The 2 stroke oil you buy in most stores does not have Castor in it. Castor oil may gum up your barrel. Have you ever seen a model airplane engine (Cox .049) that has froze up from Castor oil?

From Wikipedia "The aforementioned gummy residue problem can still be troublesome for aeromodelling powerplants lubricated with castor oil, however, usually resulting in eventual ball bearing replacement when the residue builds up too much within the engine's bearing races."

some options for castor oil.

Benol http://www.klotzlube.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BC%2D175%5FPint&cat=4

R-50 http://www.klotzlube.com/proddetail.asp?prod=KL%2D104%5FQuart&cat=4

Super Tech http://www.klotzlube.com/proddetail.asp?prod=KL%2D100%5FQuart&cat=4

303Guy
08-29-2009, 04:22 AM
Have you ever seen a model airplane engine (Cox .049) that has froze up from Castor oil?I haven't. I have seen it dry out in time and make model engines go stiff. I thought it was a age thing. Castor oil is good for performance two-strokes because they run on methanol and castor oil happens to be soluble in methanol but not in petroleum products like candle wax and gasoline which is a pain because I cannot add it to my 'waxy-lube'. I have used it as a case lube and for cast boolit sizing. I have also used it to lube paper patches. Seems to clean the bore real good. I have not used it long term so cannot comment on build up in the bore. In fact, I now only use STP for patch lubrication and a mixture ot STP, candle wax and Alox for a bullet lube (that's what my 'waxy-lube' is - it works for me because it 'freezes' like wax).

Lloyd Smale
08-29-2009, 07:09 AM
Brings back memorys of snowmobile racing back in the 70s. Been oil has a wonderful scent when burned. Its kind of like the hoppes of motors oil! I dont see anyone using it anymore as the synthetics rule the roost now.

cajun shooter
08-29-2009, 07:18 AM
When I was a kid in the late 50's they had a few boys who had parents with money and they raced these big model airplanes. The smell of the engine running and it's smoke bring back some nice memories.

felix
08-29-2009, 08:22 AM
Cold pressed (quasi room temp) = extra virgin results. Warm pressed = virgin results. Chemical extraction (solvents) = industrial grade results. It is the latter which causes the gum extraction. We use the former configuration, bought at drug and/or cosmetic stores. Motor oils invariably use industrial grades because of the feed cost. It appears the Klotz brand company is refining the castor oil with off-the-wall solvents and/or using other constituents. If cheaper than cold pressed castor oil in your area, then by all means try it in your lubes. For BP, use the one using the alcohol ready feed stocks. Use the other one or two for WP because of the possible extra phosphorous allocation (still very minimal) within the final product. ... felix

StarMetal
08-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Castor oil is not used that much in 2 stroke motors today. AT least not in full size engines like motorcycles, snowmobiles, and water craft. Small R/C engines may still use it and all out competition motorcycles, and boats will use Castor oil because it offers the highest film strength. But Castor oil gums up engines and they need to be torn down and cleaned more often. The 2 stroke oil you buy in most stores does not have Castor in it. Castor oil may gum up your barrel. Have you ever seen a model airplane engine (Cox .049) that has froze up from Castor oil?

From Wikipedia "The aforementioned gummy residue problem can still be troublesome for aeromodelling powerplants lubricated with castor oil, however, usually resulting in eventual ball bearing replacement when the residue builds up too much within the engine's bearing races."

some options for castor oil.

Benol http://www.klotzlube.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BC%2D175%5FPint&cat=4

R-50 http://www.klotzlube.com/proddetail.asp?prod=KL%2D104%5FQuart&cat=4

Super Tech http://www.klotzlube.com/proddetail.asp?prod=KL%2D100%5FQuart&cat=4

I ran a lot of model airplane engine. Fooled with them a lot too. Once screwed an 049 Thimbledrone on a big board and hooked it up to a big big can of model airplane gas and just left it there running. When it consumed all the gas it was as loose as a goose. Can't say I've ever seen those engines gum up.

My next door neighbor had a diesel model airplane engine. Had threaded screw with a T- handle on it atop the cylinder instead of the glo plugs on the gas engines. You adjusted that screw to regulate the compression to get it to run. Another friend had a three cylinder gas model airplane engine and my best friend had a watercooled gas model engine that we put in a hydroplane we build. Been out of fooling with those since I was a kid. I'm told now the new breed of model airplane engines have little carburetors on them.

Joe.

geargnasher
08-29-2009, 04:08 PM
I haven't. I have seen it dry out in time and make model engines go stiff. I thought it was a age thing. Castor oil is good for performance two-strokes because they run on methanol and castor oil happens to be soluble in methanol but not in petroleum products like candle wax and gasoline which is a pain because I cannot add it to my 'waxy-lube'. I have used it as a case lube and for cast boolit sizing. I have also used it to lube paper patches. Seems to clean the bore real good. I have not used it long term so cannot comment on build up in the bore. In fact, I now only use STP for patch lubrication and a mixture ot STP, candle wax and Alox for a bullet lube (that's what my 'waxy-lube' is - it works for me because it 'freezes' like wax).

I think you could indeed use castor oil in your "waxy-lube" if you use the method Felix employs in his lube. You have to "polymerize" the castor oil (which changes it's molecular structure) with heat to get it to stay in suspension with the mineral-type oils/waxes (paraffins).

Gear