PDA

View Full Version : Someone pinch me or kick me

JSH
08-28-2009, 08:41 PM
I hate all of you guys,lol.
I will first off start by saying I probably passed a good deal but just couldn't make myself do it. A Steyr rifle, not a carbine a rifle the staright pull like a K31. I forget the # as I type, but it was only the second or third I have ever seen. Condition was 90+%, price was $399. Bore was as good as ANY milsurp I have seen. Goofed around and low and behold a fellow packed it in and bought it. This was last night.
I go to pick up a bow case today and nothing else.................. I will just look on the rack for the heck of it. Huh, a Krag that has been sporterized and a Lyman sight. Barrel has been bobbed and a new front sight added. I looked it all over and didn't find anything that would keep it from going back to a more military looking gun in the future. Hmmmmmmm I hate to see the old gal get buggered any more than it already has. Had to put it on layaway as other more pressing things like food and electricity, water , etc, but none the less it will be mine in short order.............
Oh $214 OTD

Honestly don't hate any of you. Though I do cuss a lot of you,lol. Anyones ears burning tonight?
jeff

Four Fingers of Death
08-29-2009, 12:21 PM
I don't get too hysterical about sporterised rifles, they are a part of our history as well and if nicely done, I generally keep them that way.

What I'd really like to pick up is a nice old Mauser sporter in 8mm/06 and an 03' which has been re-bored to 35 Whelan. They are a significant part of hunting history and are welcome on my gun rack anytime. I have a 22Hornet on a SMLE Action built by the Small Arms Factory at Lithgow and will buy the next nice 303/25 that I see. They were significant hunting arms here.

I have a friend who is pretty cashed up, hunts all over the place on guided hunts, etc. He has a safe full of fancy sporting rifles, but shots an old re-chambered 8mm Mauser that belonged to an old hunting buddy that died young. He has hunted the world with it.

Freightman
08-29-2009, 12:49 PM
[QUOTE=Four Fingers of Death;650321]I don't get too hysterical about sporterised rifles, they are a part of our history as well and if nicely done, I generally keep them that way.
Thank you for saying that, I have people who look at one of my "sporterised" Veterlli' s and turns there nose up but it will out shoot there high dollar guns and I paid $80 + shipping for it.

45nut
08-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Honestly don't hate any of you. Though I do cuss a lot of you,lol. Anyones ears burning tonight?
jeff

Who Me? I didn't do it!

Jack Stanley
08-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Lemme see ...........guns are more than likely going to do better than the stock market and you are riled at who ???

Just as soon as you get back to eating regular , you will be glad you bought it .

Jack

JSH
08-29-2009, 11:15 PM
Yeah you are #1 on my list Ken,lol.

FFoD, one of the first sporters I ever bought for $75 was VZ24 that had been rechambered to 8mm-06. Guys were scared to death of it. Ken and I had been talking a bit on the finer points of casting. He gave me a gentle nudge and I was off like a scalded dog,lol. First lube sizer (45) package deal i bought came with an assortment odds and ends of molds. It had the 323470 SC in the mix. I casted a pile of them. Spent another $75 on a set of dies. I have not cranked it up tight enough to get it to shoot with the sights very well. The action was not DT for a scope so am a bit hesitant to do that, unless I could find a period scope base and rings that fit it's "charm". A very good example of an early spoter imho.

Jack, yes it may be ramin noodles, pork butt, chicken and mac and cheese for a while,lol.
I was just looking around for a Sharps or rolling block in 45-70. Yes Ken ya read that right, another 45. A few guys here pushing me to come play with the holy black and long range with them. Just what I need another mouth to feed.

"45/70 Sharps by Pedersoli, 32" barrel, set triggers, a ramp site, Verneer site and front globe. By the way, the brown that appears on the front site in the picture is not rust, but leather from the sheath. My price is for the complete package is $1,000 (firm)."

Don't know who's sight but is this in line, price wise for one of these?
jeff

Ricochet
08-30-2009, 04:53 PM
I'd like to have one of the old long infantry rifle Mannlichers. Carbines don't appeal to me much.

Buckshot
09-03-2009, 02:43 AM
..............I've never even SEEN a M95 rifle in person. Just pictures. Of course a TON of the Stutzens/carbines were around.

.............Buckshot

Three44s
09-13-2009, 02:00 AM
Fifteen bucks and I had the choice of either a 45 or a 450 ....... three molds with light rust .... steel wool took it out in short order ...... for fifteen more.

And there I was, a newbie caster!

My gunsmith was pretty good to me that day.

The only cussing I did was of myself for not buying both Lyman L/S's and spending the tidy sum of $45 instead of just 30 ...........

Now my two M44 Russians ........ I'd passed and just bought one more M38. But heck, there is always regrets ........ so long as they are small regrets .......... whining is sort of like gripping about being hung with a new rope!!!

Three 44s

Jeff H
10-08-2009, 08:48 PM
I "sporterized" a mismatched, but properly headspaced, M38 Swede - heavily. Beautiful gun by the time I was finished and an excellent shooter, best yet, it fit my wishes better than any factory offering available. Paid $175 for the M38. I got a super clean '09 Argentine, which someone before me gave the Bubba-treatment to - but just to the wood. Fortunately, the bore was somewhat less than "good" which gave me license to have my own 6.5x55 on an '09 Argie. The Argentine was $97. I also had a neat little '95 Chilean, onto which someone had screwed a stubby '94 Swede barrel and to which I fit a '93 Spanish hinged floorplate/guard. This little "mutt" was $125.

I keep my eye out for the ones that have been "messed with" - the ones the purists won't even pick up off the table and about which mutter disparaging verses regarding their previous owners. There was zero pitting and virtually no wear on the Chilean and Argentine in spite of the fact that they had both spent the greater part of their lives in very humid climates. The actions on all three were near perfect, but had already been defiled as collectors so I considered them a much, much more opportune find than any untouched, original military piece - the kind that I myself would not take drill and tap to.

I love the ones that have "been around the block," the ones with a sketchy past. They are so much more appealing and so much more fun. The stories they won't tell evoke mystery and they just seem that much wiser for their apparent experiences. You can do things with these that you wouldn't even consider with the colletors.

And, yes, I am still on topic - milsurp rifles.:shock:

Jeff H

Boz330
10-09-2009, 01:28 PM
I don't get too hysterical about sporterised rifles, they are a part of our history as well and if nicely done, I generally keep them that way.

What I'd really like to pick up is a nice old Mauser sporter in 8mm/06 and an 03' which has been re-bored to 35 Whelan. They are a significant part of hunting history and are welcome on my gun rack anytime. I have a 22Hornet on a SMLE Action built by the Small Arms Factory at Lithgow and will buy the next nice 303/25 that I see. They were significant hunting arms here.

I have a friend who is pretty cashed up, hunts all over the place on guided hunts, etc. He has a safe full of fancy sporting rifles, but shots an old re-chambered 8mm Mauser that belonged to an old hunting buddy that died young. He has hunted the world with it.

Thanks Mick, it just chaps my [edit] when the high and mighty start talking about Bubba trashing milsurp rifles when they don't have a clue. After the war, read 1950s, milsurp rifles were cheaper than dirt, where as a factory gun was a months pay. A working man could supplement his groceries with a deer taken with one of these rifles. The NRA even put out a book on how to sporterize just about every milsup available, from basic to some of the finest rifles you have ever seen from any factory. In those days folks had a lot more patience and talent than money. The milsurp arms filled a niche in those days not taken care of by the manufacturers. I'm not all that old (actually I am) but I remember $13 rifles when a 94 Winchester was $75 and that was one of the cheapest you could get, new.
Btw the rifle in the photo was purchased for $15, the stock for $35. It was given to my God Son in the picture on his 12th Christmas. It has filled the freezer at his parents house and his own house now, many times over. I've tried to get him to try other rifles for a change, but he just says "it doesn't miss".
Rant over!

Bob

StarMetal
10-09-2009, 01:38 PM
Wow! A staright Steyr....sounds like that should be my rifle. Just teasing you on the spelling. I've seen those somewhere and if I find where I'll relay it onto you should you like to have one.

Joe